• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HOW TO UNDO EGR AND DPFE SENSOR DELETE OR IF ITS NECESSARY AT ALL

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
i have 2.9l 4x4 1990 ranger AUTO, was throwing a CODE 41, so i replaced HEGO sensor, after couple of days light come back on but almost only comes on when the throttle is released very quickly, so i went to the next thing that could be bad, EGR valve, when i went to find the DPFE sensor and EGR valve there was nothing and a plate was blocking where the EGR was originally. there is no sign of the vacuum line or coolant hose as of now and i’m not too sure as to where the vacuum line would come from as i don’t see it on my vacuum diagram in the engine bay, should i attempt to undo this and reinstall it, is there a way to make the computer forget about the EGR and sensor, or is there something else i can do. yalls input would be very appreciated.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do some research. I am not up on all the different years, but do know some of the later 2.9's like yours did not come with a EGR valve from the factory. Someone may have put the wrong computer in your truck.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Does your truck still have the original emissions & vacuum diagram sticker on the radiator core support? If so and it's still legible, it will show the EGR if yours was originally equipped.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
tomorrow i will be sure to put the picture of the vacuum diagram into this thread because that was the most damning piece of evidence that the truck may not have come with one at all. because there should be a vacuum line for the DPFE sensor as well as the EGR valve itself and neither of those are marked in the diagram, i will post it up tomorrow

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You might want to pull the computer and see if you can decipher the numbers on it. My 86 2.9 had the EGR valve. I have heard of guys blocking the EGR off that model and running a newer computer that did not use the EGR.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If I remember right, 86 was the last year for the EGR on a 2.9, so if I had to hazard a guess I’d say that maybe someone swapped an older computer or maybe there’s a bad capacitor or something in the computer

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'll give ya tree fiddy

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
If I remember right, 86 was the last year for the EGR on a 2.9, so if I had to hazard a guess I’d say that maybe someone swapped an older computer or maybe there’s a bad capacitor or something in the computer
you are exactly right, never came with one in the first place, i was just being silly. thank you for all your guys help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals