• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to tell what type of transmission 4.0 l ranger engine was mated to from factory

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Hi everybody , it looks like a great trove of info this website , thank you in advance .
The reason for my post is to confirm what type of transmission came with the 4.0 l engine that is in the back of my Volkswagen Karmann Ghia .
Its been many years since I ve had time to work on it , (23 ), its always been garage kept, turned over faithfully by the nut on pulley , unfortunately life got in the way and Im just finding time now to dive back in , but its been awhile and would like to double check some things before jumping back in .
Engine bolted to a Volkswagen 091 bus manual tranny , via engine adapter by Kennedy engineering in California. I have the wiring harness from original vehicle and that is the first direction Im heading in, but I cant recall when I bought engine and harness from the wrecker back in the mid 90 s for sure if engine was from a manual transmission or auto.
Through talking with an electrical wiz at work , he is hoping it indeed is from a manual as the ECU may be a real headache if it thinks its supposed to communicating with a auto tranny.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you Dean

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Short of having the original transmission there is no way to tell just by looking at the outside of the engine.

The wiring can offer some clues. If you can find the sub-section with the oxygen sensor plugs, on or near it will be all the connectors for the transmission. If you can post some pictures of that section we can probably tell you. In particular look for a purple and black wire, it will be in either an ovalish 2 pin connector, or a round 5 or 6 pin connector with a red and blue wire.

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Thanks for that info , I will look at harness. snap some pics , and look for purple and black2 pinner or 5 ,or 6 with red and blue .
Can I ask which pin connector would likely hook up to a manual tranny? I m guessing the 2 pin purple &black?
Thanks again

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks for that info , I will look at harness. snap some pics , and look for purple and black2 pinner or 5 ,or 6 with red and blue .
Can I ask which pin connector would likely hook up to a manual tranny? I m guessing the 2 pin purple &black?
Thanks again
Yeah. I am looking for the wiring for the reverse lights. The 2-pin connector would be a manual transmission. The larger round connector would go to the trans range sensor on an automatic.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If ECU(PCM) has some extra wires then its from an automatic, an A4LD

Its a 60-pin PCM and its numbered 1 to 60, lol

Numbers are like this: https://easyautodiagnostics.com/images/articles-500-599/550/558/image_1.jpg

Pin 1 should be a Yellow wire
Pin 60 is a Ground so black/white or just black

Pins 52 and 53 were for the 2 solenoids in the automatic in 1991, well 1990-1994 PCM with A4LD auto

If 52 is an Orange/yellow wire
If 53 is a purple/yellow wire
Then its an automatic PCM and wiring harness

If no wires at 52 and 53 it for a manual trans vehicle

It is possible for the wires to be there and its still a Manual trans PCM they were just never used
All Rangers up to about 2002 wired for manuals and automatic wires were an added harness, so PCM would have those 2 wires and they go to a connector that was never plugged in

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is possible for the wires to be there and its still a Manual trans PCM they were just never used
All Rangers up to about 2002 wired for manuals and automatic wires were an added harness, so PCM would have those 2 wires and they go to a connector that was never plugged in
This is why I ignored the PCM pinout and started looking for the reverse light connectors. They will be definitive as to which type of transmission the harness was meant to plug into.

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
This is why I ignored the PCM pinout and started looking for the reverse light connectors. They will be definitive as to which type of transmission the harness was meant to plug into.
HI me again , im having problems getting pics from phone into photo sec to be added as attachments to my post , so thought I would let you know what I found out.
I spread the harness out on the shop floor , and after looking at my haynes manual( they have a specific section for back up lights )i saw in the diagram for manual transmission a purple and orange wire making up a pin connector , , I found a off shoot from the main harness a foot or so after the power dis. box
a three wire split: the purple , orange and black ( i guess maybe even though its shown in the diagram as only two wires , a ground is by default on maybe every circuit?)
then working my way to the back section of harness , i saw another three wire off shoot , the purple , or,and black , but ending in a back end of a light bulb type conector that had the bulb broken off and had a little bit of that shiny chrome reflective plastic left around the broken off light bulb.
I n the diagram , they show left and right back up light, but this was the only p and orange wires that show ending up at back up lights .
i will ask for help to get my pics onto the computer ad onto this website asap .
In your opinion , do you think that the ecu could be marked with a number or letter that defines it as manual or auto ?
thanks for your time and patience
Dean

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
HI me again , im having problems getting pics from phone into photo sec to be added as attachments to my post , so thought I would let you know what I found out.
I spread the harness out on the shop floor , and after looking at my haynes manual( they have a specific section for back up lights )i saw in the diagram for manual transmission a purple and orange wire making up a pin connector , , I found a off shoot from the main harness a foot or so after the power dis. box
a three wire split: the purple , orange and black ( i guess maybe even though its shown in the diagram as only two wires , a ground is by default on maybe every circuit?)
then working my way to the back section of harness , i saw another three wire off shoot , the purple , or,and black , but ending in a back end of a light bulb type conector that had the bulb broken off and had a little bit of that shiny chrome reflective plastic left around the broken off light bulb.
I n the diagram , they show left and right back up light, but this was the only p and orange wires that show ending up at back up lights .
i will ask for help to get my pics onto the computer ad onto this website asap .
In your opinion , do you think that the ecu could be marked with a number or letter that defines it as manual or auto ?
thanks for your time and patience
Dean p , orange and black ending up at back up light , singular , not two like I thought there should be

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a code on the PCM label that tells you if its for a manual or automatic....................but................. lol
Ford never released that info

Here is a link for what to look for on the label and there are some "confirmed" codes on the list: http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page17.html

Other way is to google the year and code number and see if there is in info for that code

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Use imgur for photos. You can load the pictures from your phone straight to imgur from the phone, and then you can add them with the links from their website.

Its far more efficient than trying to add them as attachments to the post.

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Hi. The third image (8886) shows pin connection. purple, orange, black wires into three prong connection. 16" behind power distribution box. The fourth image (8887) shows same coloured wires ending into the back of socket with broken bulb in it, but only one socket. Is Ford simplifying things in the wiring harness (only having one connection for the backup lights) and would we plug in from this socket to the second back up light, like a pig tail in-line connection? Thank you so much for all of your help and look forward to your input. Dean

Attachments

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's not what I needed to see.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As adsm said an A4LD automatic would have a 3 wire connector like this: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/BiV_TDkNBfbZyXG4sRAQc5PJAdDlHIVyIQc2Ahzm8qDR8SDECnmq-2B7E5JrIswKFnZj2rVnzOr-Highxgy0n6JQW3vmaGn7oH0aswRGxYG4ITKy9A
Kind of rectangle, oval with 3 wires, always a red center wire

And a Neutral/reverse light connector like this: https://1ql7r63opl6d27eqyj26t0b7-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/AOD_Pigtail.jpg
Round with 4 or 5 wires, one purple/orange and one black/pink(reverse lights)

Manual trans would just has a 2 wire connector one purple/orange and one black/pink(reverse lights)
Oval connector but just 2 wires

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
sorry about first pics ,i just learned easy way to download and post , so here goes , two fresh pics 8901 is the connector closest to power distribution box, 8905 is the light socket one at back taillight section of harness, i pulled the bulb and exposed connector . hope these are better .

Attachments

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
But we need to see the connectors at the transmission, not the bulb sockets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals