• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to set timing 2.9l

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My truck failed CA Smog

The inspection on pre smog test the timing is at 5 degrees BTDC they want factory spec at 10 degrees BTDC. The tech marked the pulley told me to set it there set the timing light at 10. I got an old Sunpro advanced timing analyzer. It has degrees advanced on back will this work just set it at 10? How do I do this right it cost $40 for pre smog test I lost $80 so far on the two smog places

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is a plug on the passenger side of the engine, near the middle intake runner, that is just a small jumper, it needs to be removed. Then hook your timing light up, start the engine, and loosen the distributor hold down and turn the distributor until you get the mark they made to line up with the pointer at the crank pulley.

Then you tighten the hold down and put the jumper back in.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

Its called the SPOUT Connector, it needs to be unplugged to set base spark timing much like needing to unhooking the Vacuum advance on older distributor to set base timing, SPOUT is the electronic version of "vacuum advance"

Picture here, of SPOUT connector: http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/kc0rey/SPOUT.jpg

Just a grey or black plastic plug that needs to be pulled out, which disconnects the 2 SPOUT wires

Last edited:

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you both so much

What is the best way to loosen the distributor hold down? its back in a tight spot hard to get to. What size mm socket do I need

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The distributor hold down is 13mm. They make special sockets that are supposed to be for doing that, but I have always found a short wrench or a 1/4 on a long extension to be better than those tools on the 2.9.

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you

I got it loose with a short ratchet I got a question on timing? The smog place marked the TDC mark on the pulley in white. He told me to disconnect the spout connector set the timing light at 10 and move the dist bring the TDC mark down to the timing marker. This would be 10 degrees BTDC is this correct?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Timing light connects to battery and #1 spark plug wire, there is no "setting" on a timing light, it flashes a strobe light each time #1 gets a spark signal(not actually "each time", lol)

There is a pointer attached to the engines front cover with a line or mark on it, DO NOT use the "hole"(eyelet) thats for a Ford timing tool

The crankshaft pulley/balancer has a few lines on it, longest one should be TDC(top dead center) for #1 piston

Then to drivers side of that line(BTDC), are smaller lines every 2 degs, slightly longer lines at 4deg, 8deg, 12deg, 16deg, 20deg, ect

So the line that should be marked is between 8 and 12deg, which is 10deg BTDC, the line "he" marked

Picture here of the crank marks: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/81501-2-9l-timing-issue.html
post #9
You can see the 12deg line, 1|2, in that picture

Last edited:

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Timing light connects to battery and #1 spark plug wire, there is no "setting" on a timing light, it flashes a strobe light each time #1 gets a spark signal(not actually "each time", lol)

There is a pointer attached to the engines front cover with a line or mark on it, DO NOT use the "hole"(eyelet) thats for a Ford timing tool

The crankshaft pulley/balancer has a few lines on it, longest one should be TDC(top dead center) for #1 piston

Then to drivers side of that line(BTDC), are smaller lines every 2 degs, slightly longer lines at 4deg, 8deg, 12deg, 16deg, 20deg, ect

So the line that should be marked is between 8 and 12deg, which is 10deg BTDC, the line "he" marked

Picture here of the crank marks: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/81501-2-9l-timing-issue.html
post #9
You can see the 12deg line, 1|2, in that picture

Thank You Ron

Your info got me on the track on timing I got the 10 degree mark right with the timing pointer. I have two timing lights both close. I will bring my timing light with me just in case. Its hard to see looking between the radiator hose and battery with the timing light

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals