• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to replace a power supply on a Toshiba?

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all I am sick of my laptop shutting off on me. The cord going into the laptop is loose and the battery is long since shot so when the cord gets wiggled in the wrong way it shuts down. I am wondering how hard it is to open it up and replace the power supply and find the parts to do it? Its a toshiba Satellite

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
did you try searching on-line for a tech reference? I've worked on a few laptops...they're not hard to change parts, just time consuming some times...and the parts can be expensive...but I'd suggest searching first...

And try duct tape to imobilize the cord...kind of nerdy fix like the tape on the glasses...

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Might be just a bad joint where the socket is attached to the board or a damaged power cord.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
My gf's toshiba's power plug in just broke, thats funny.

My battery just died as well, Wny not get a new battery so you have good battery life then tear into the laptop and get the power cord fixed.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
It's probably just a bad connection where the cord plugs into the laptop (the sockets connection to the mother board), the power supply is the brick that's part of the power cord. I'm not sure if you can find just the power socket or just reattach the current one if your good at electronics soldering. The other option would be to check Ebay for a replacement motherboard.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I've done a few of those plugs.
The power board on laptops are expensive. You can find a replacement power receptacle that you can solder onto the board for about $12. Then you look for disassembly instructions online and take it step by step to disassemble the laptop. When you get the power board out of the laptop, find someone to desolder the old receptacle and solder the new one on. You can then reassemble the laptop.

Be sure you mark where each screw goes. Each one may be just a little bit different length or size. Take your time.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
the power supply is the brick that's part of the power cord.
Oh, yeah, that's right...been a while since I played with one...

Be sure you mark where each screw goes. Each one may be just a little bit different length or size. Take your time.
Hmmm...wonder why I always manage to have a few extra screws left over when I work on computers...not like a car, when you move it the rattles tell you what screws you forgot to put back...

mephiska

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
If you're lucky a new power supply will fix it. Get a universal one from a local store (where you can return it if it doesn't work) and see if that fixes it.

What commonly happens is the power port on the mainboard connection gets loose, and the only way to fix it is to re-solder it on there, which requires pulling the mainboard out. If you're handy with electronics soldering and can find the service manual pdf for this model online you may be able to do it.

Alternatively, if it has a docking station port, you can try and buy the docking station on ebay and charge it that way. That's what I ended up doing with one of my older laptops back in 2000, it was the only way I could get it to charge the laptop or even run.

I stopped buying Toshiba laptops for just this reason. I've seen four of them do the exact same thing. The design is just poor and they never fix it.

You can try this site for locating the service manual

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My first laptop was a Toshiba... The big pin inside the power cord slot broke right off. What a bitch...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the term people are grasping for is "power Jack"

the one in my Dell1525 is "loose" (still works)

instead of it being soldered directly to the MoBo, it's mounted to a screwed in place "power input board", but to replace that requires completely removing the palm rest.

removing the palm rest requires dismounting the display and top cover

I have a replacement power input board sitting here on my desk, I'm trying
to build up the ambition to swap it out... I expect that even though I've
had this laptop apart before that it'll take about six hours.

Far better than having to solder a new power jack to the MoBo...
with the chance of destroying the MoBo

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals