• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to remove front axles -1996 4x4 Locking Hubs?

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 1996 ranger manual trans, 4x4 with locking hubs. I want to remove the axles so I can pull the front diff to reseal it. I took off the hub lockers, and behind that there seem to be two nuts that have a sort of slotted drive . I imagine I need a special socket to remove these. Any idea what it is called and where I can get one ? (maybe loaner at the autoparts store ?) In front of thse there is a thin metal washer and a shield of sorts (i broke the seal accidentaly) I imagine there is a snap ring which holds these on ?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
There should be a c-clip holding the splined washer in place.

Yes. There is a large socket with 4 prongs that is used to manipulate the lockouts. Once the lockouts are removed. The brake rotor and bearings will slide off the spindle. Then the spindles must be removed. On the driver side, that will allow you to remove the shaft. It will slide out of the differential. Be prepared to catch some oil once the shaft is out of the seal. On the passenger side, you need to unclamp the rubber boot on slipjoint on the shaft. That will allow the shaft to separate. One half will stay with the differential. It is retained by a c-clip inside, the same way the shafts are retained in a 8.8" rear axle.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the passenger side, you need to unclamp the rubber boot on slipjoint on the shaft. That will allow the shaft to separate. One half will stay with the differential. It is retained by a c-clip inside, the same way the shafts are retained in a 8.8" rear axle.
I imagine its an internal c-clip and i just need to pull/ pry it off to remove it ? I imagine its a c-clip sort of like this one:

Also how much torque should I use for the spindle nuts ? Should I just get them good and tight ?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
No. The c clip is a typical diff c clip. The piglet has to come off of the beam to remove.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Before you try to remove the wheelbearing lock nuts you need to get the C clip and washer off, if you follow the splines from the end of the shaft to the next step there is a C clip in that groove, just push that off with 2 screwdrivers. From there you need a Dana 44 wheel bearing nut socket, they're like $15 I believe. You can only change the diff output seal on the drivers side without pulling the whole diff.

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I managed to get the wheel bearing lock nuts off using a 22$ dana44 wheel bearing nut socket from autozone. thanks for the advice so far!

I am now stuck getting off the wheel speed sensor setup. It seems I need to pull this off to get the spindle off. There are two small bolts, both of which I am unsure as to what size they are. I thought one was an 8mm and it wouldn't move and now its a bit rounded off - time to order some bolt extractors. Any idea what is the correct size socket for these?

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's most likely 7mm, Ford likes 7mm...

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the passenger side, you need to unclamp the rubber boot on slipjoint on the shaft. That will allow the shaft to separate. One half will stay with the differential. It is retained by a c-clip inside, the same way the shafts are retained in a 8.8" rear axle
Is there a way to take the clamps on the boot off and re-use them without breaking them or should I go ahead and break them and replace ?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would just take them off. I think I'm running two #6 clamps together on mine, they're the narrow worm gear clamps...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Hose clamps or big zip ties are sufficient, those factory clamps are one time use.

That stupid ABS sensor bolt has a 12 point head. I think it is 7mm? Don't hammer on the round metal part you see on the front when you're removing the sensor either, it's just a thin metal cover over a magnet.

You almost have to remove the axle beam from the truck to get the 3rd member out. The pinch bolt holding it in place is kind of inside the radius arm and since you have to loosen that up and pivot it, you might as well just remove the whole beam and make it less awkward.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals