• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to remove followers

Zapper

Yes i can afford this without "daddies money"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986ish
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.294e+6 cubic millimeters
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Drop
shot bushings?
Tire Size
235/75/r15
My credo
To send it or not to send it, that is the question.
So I decided to freshen up the top end of my 2.3 quite a bit and I'm wanting to replace the valve seals and I'm unsure how to remove the followers so can anyone tell me how you remove and reinstall them.

Attachments

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
When I did that task, I used a pry bar to depress the valve spring, and WEARING GLOVES, would then twist the follower out of place. I don't know of an easy way to do it. The gloves are handy to prevent the sharp edges of all the internal parts, especially cam bearing stands, from scraping the skin from your hands. The edges of the followers are not rounded either. Installation is the reverse.
You can increase the available clearance by pressing firmly on the lifter support end of the follower, collapsing the lifter, and getting about .050"(ballpark) more clearance. I didn't bother as it takes time to get the oil to leak out if you have good lifters.
It was a while ago, and I sort of remember using a valve spring compressor designed for a Chevy small block that had a dual-ended hook on the end, and an opening closer to the handle that fit over the valve spring, allowing access to the retainers. I think hooking to openings on the cylinder head, prying downward, and then removing the follower, wiggling and rotating as needed was the procedure. I repeat, wear gloves. Unless you don't mind blood in your oil.
tom

Zapper

Yes i can afford this without "daddies money"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986ish
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.294e+6 cubic millimeters
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Drop
shot bushings?
Tire Size
235/75/r15
My credo
To send it or not to send it, that is the question.
When I did that task, I used a pry bar to depress the valve spring, and WEARING GLOVES, would then twist the follower out of place. I don't know of an easy way to do it. The gloves are handy to prevent the sharp edges of all the internal parts, especially cam bearing stands, from scraping the skin from your hands. The edges of the followers are not rounded either. Installation is the reverse.
You can increase the available clearance by pressing firmly on the lifter support end of the follower, collapsing the lifter, and getting about .050"(ballpark) more clearance. I didn't bother as it takes time to get the oil to leak out if you have good lifters.
It was a while ago, and I sort of remember using a valve spring compressor designed for a Chevy small block that had a dual-ended hook on the end, and an opening closer to the handle that fit over the valve spring, allowing access to the retainers. I think hooking to openings on the cylinder head, prying downward, and then removing the follower, wiggling and rotating as needed was the procedure. I repeat, wear gloves. Unless you don't mind blood in your oil.
tom
Well I barely ever wear gloves and the head isn't on the engine so some blood wont hurt much.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I did mine by rotating cam until valve was opened, then placing a wood wedge between open valve & valve seat, turn cam until lobe is off follower, then remove follower. I realize that wont help you much in the rest of the job, maybe use a valve spring compressor once you get the cam followers and camshaft out of the way. I had a machine shop do the rest of disassembly and magnaflux head, Highly recommend that, ended up ordering a reman head from autozone as I couldnt find a used head that wasnt cracked at the valve seats. (dual plug head) used same basic process to get followers back in. they do make a tool for that. Im not sure how I opened the new valves to put the wood wedge in, Im guessing I used a C clamp.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There's more room on the flat tappet followers for a prybar, and actually the right tool for the job goes around the cam lobe and pushes on the valve spring retainer. We have one at work but it doesn't work on the roller followers so I just use a long screwdriver or one of the screwdriver type prybars with a square cross section.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals