• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Remove First Gen Grill and Change First Gen Headlight

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Original Poster: 1qaz

Difficulty: 1 out of 10

Time to install: 30 minutes

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: How-to to remove the front grill on a first gen Ranger and change a first gen headlight. Though this sounds simple, this how to offers a way to change your headlights without damaging your grill or headlamp retaining ring. The 1987 Ford Ranger Shop Manual describes the project without removing the grill but I could not remove the retaining ring without first removing the grill.

Tools Needed:
- Phillips head screwdriver

Parts Needed:
- Headlight (Shown is a Sylvania H6054)

Step 1: Remove 10 visible grill screws (locations shown in yellow circles below)

Step 2: Remove two front parking lights (directly below headlights, two Phillips screws each) to expose two hidden grill screws.

Step 3: Remove grill

Step 4: Remove four headlight retaining ring screws and remove the retaining ring. The screw in the middle (top pic) is an adjusting screw...do not unscrew or adjust. There is another on the outside portion of the headlight. Neither one holds the headlight or retaining ring.

Step 5: Pull the headlight forward and disconnect the wiring plug...it simply pulls out.

Step 6: Plug in new bulb and place back in position. Ensure headlight is positioned right side up. Plug will be on top and logo on front of headlight will be right side up.

Step 7: Replace retaining ring.

Step 8: Replace the grill.

Step 9: Replace parking lights. Done.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good job...photobucket seems to have gotten a bit faster lately...it was extremely slow for a while and I all but gave up on waiting for it to load.

Anyway...very helpful for someone who has never done this...I remember breaking a few grills and destroying other things...

I still have a set of the pods and trim pieces from my 88...have them for sale but so far no takers...even have the original mounting springs and adjusters...but I'm guessing these things can still be bought at a parts supplier if needed. My pods are in good shape for being almost 30 years old...probably due to having removed them and cleaned them up 17 years ago when I first got the truck...and applying a coat of rust enamel...

Amazing what a bit of care will do for the longevity of a vehicle...:)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You don't need to take the grille off to get the headlights out. I've done it many times.

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For me, it made more sense and was safer to just remove the grill. The retainer ring metal on mine is sharp and easily slices flesh. Getting the ring in front of grill is way harder than it should be.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think mine had rubber splash guards that made it harder to remove the retainer ring and removing the grill...or at least loosening it off enough to slip the ring out...made it easier.

Been a long time since I took one apart though...so kinda vague memories.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On my truck I have Hella "E-code" headlamps that use a removeable H4 (HB2) bulb
which is can be changed from behind the radiator support...

Which is an good thing considering that I have an integrated tow-bar bracket, push-bar and grille guard the push bar and grille-guard fit very close to the grille making the grille an major PITA to remove.

Though to replace the passenger side bulb requires removing the battery.
and of course removing the battery requires removing the top of the air-cleaner box and the duct to the engine..

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I swapped out the first gen front end for a second gen with the replaceable halogen bulbs. It was easier to change them after that...with the same gyrations of removing the battery and air filter cover.

I was thinking there had to be an easier way and considered moving the battery...but that was next to impossible without putting it in the cab or the bed...and a battery in the cab is a bad idea generally.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
EDIT - I removed a tech question I had here, as I just read that they aren’t to be posted in this area of the site.

BTW - I’ve looked around for the elusive parts interchange thread that’s supposed to be here somewhere, but can’t seem to find it.

Also, when I try to view the pics in this thread, I just get a message that says, “PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ALLOW THIRD PARTY HOSTING.” This is frustrating. :annoyed:I’m not sure what this is all about, but I’m assuming that maybe Photobucket (which I hardly ever use) wants me to upgrade to a paid account (which I’m not about to do). Can anyone verify? :dunno:Thanks so much!!

_RE

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals