• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Pull ABS codes on 99 Ranger 2wd

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah pressing brake on and off and BOO only says on. However i did not try it while car was on.
That's not good. :( It should toggle on and off when you press and release the brake pedal. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it even does it with KOEO (Key On, Engine Off). I'd check that for you on my 2004 Ranger but can't at the moment.
Yes the [dashboard] Brake light IS on. Also lights up and light goes off when the parking brake is engaged and disengaged,
OK, good to have that info when diagnosing.

Out of curiosity, are your brake lights (talking about the ones at the rear of the truck now, not your dashboard "BRAKE" lamp) on all the time?
ABS rear speed sensor came in and it DID NOT fix it.
Sorry to hear that. I think you're on the right track, though, by focusing now on the brake switch and "BOO". I wouldn't be surprised that an always-on BPP/BOO condition would confuse the RABS module, probably even to the point of lighting the dashboard ABS lamp as you've seen.
I changed the brake switch a week ago, do they make separate brake switches for the 4wabs and the RABS.
I don't know, but a quick check on RockAuto's website makes me think that the answer is "No".

I wonder if you could try disconnecting the brake switch to see if FORScan's "BOO" report changes from "On" to "Off"?

Hang in there, I think you'll eventually solve this! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (y)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's not good. :( It should toggle on and off when you press and release the brake pedal. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it even does it with KOEO (Key On, Engine Off). I'd check that for you on my 2004 Ranger but can't at the moment.
OK, good to have that info when diagnosing.

Out of curiosity, are your brake lights (talking about the ones at the rear of the truck now, not your dashboard "BRAKE" lamp) on all the time?
Sorry to hear that. I think you're on the right track, though, by focusing now on the brake switch and "BOO". I wouldn't be surprised that an always-on BPP/BOO condition would confuse the RABS module, probably even to the point of lighting the dashboard ABS lamp as you've seen.
I don't know, but a quick check on RockAuto's website makes me think that the answer is "No".

I wonder if you could try disconnecting the brake switch to see if FORScan's "BOO" report changes from "On" to "Off"?

Hang in there, I think you'll eventually solve this! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (y)

Just to give everyone who helped out and replied and for those who may have a similar in the future. The issue was the brake switch. Apparently the discount auto BWD AND the autozone Duralast brake switch were both bad. A ford tech friend I have in Florida said to try an OEM brake switch and stay away from aftermarket part, so ordered the ford OEM switch and just like that no ABS brake light coming on anymore. Again thank you all for those who tried to help it really is appreciated!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wow... It really takes talent to screw up making a brake switch, I applaud the painstaking effort that must have taken by the fine folks at Duralast.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The issue was the brake switch. Apparently the discount auto BWD AND the autozone Duralast brake switch were both bad.
For a while there, I was afraid you had given up, just as it seemed you might be getting close. Glad to hear you've solved the mystery! Thanks for the follow-up.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate you willingness to help!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals