• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Pull ABS codes on 99 Ranger 2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can someone help? As mentioned above, need help pulling ABS codes on my 99 ranger 4.0 RWD. Local autozone and discount auto says they can only pull codes from CEL and there is very limited info on the net on how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You need a scanner that is capable of pulling those codes. Not all can. My Actron and ScanGauge II are not one of those.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know if jumping some wires can make you self diagnose with flashing ABS light?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not on a 99. By that year the ABS system was fully integrated into the OBD I I network. The OBD I I port and a scanner is the only way to get codes out of that system. Airbags are the only system that use LFC codes by that year and even those leave much to be desired.

Buy a cheap ELM327 adapter and get ForScan.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks so much for that help I will try to buy a scanner to pull the codes.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Buy a cheap ELM327 adapter and get ForScan.
+1

Note that there is absolutely no need to spend a lot of money on a fancy scanner to read ABS codes on a 1999 Ford (and many other Ford vehicles of that era, like my 2004 Ranger). The simplest ELM327 adapter will suffice because it's a trivial command to get the ABS codes and FORScan knows what to do, of course.

For wireless adapters, a "BAFX" (sold at Amazon for $20.99, for example) is both good and popular (EDIT: it uses Bluetooth). I own one. For wired adapters, I like my OBDLink SX (about $40 now, $32 when I bought mine).

(At some point, Ford began using the MS-CAN protocol on some nodes and to talk to those nodes you'd need a more expensive ELM327 adapter, like the OBDLink EX or the OBDLink MX+ or one of the devices with a mechanical switch to select HS-CAN or MS-CAN.)

If you have a laptop that can run Windows (from 'XP' upward), then download "FORScan for Windows" (it's free). If the laptop has no Bluetooth capability, then go for a wired ELM327 adapter.

If you have a tablet or smartphone that runs Android, you can buy "FORScan Lite for Android" ($6). If you just want to read the ABS codes and don't need to clear them, then even the free "FORScan Demo for Android" will suffice. And you'll probably want a wireless adapter like the BAFX, but a wired adapter can be made to work sometimes too.

FORScan also runs on iOS devices, but I have no experience there.

Whatever way you go, good luck!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
+1

Note that there is absolutely no need to spend a lot of money on a fancy scanner to read ABS codes on a 1999 Ford (and many other Ford vehicles of that era, like my 2004 Ranger). The simplest ELM327 adapter will suffice because it's a trivial command to get the ABS codes and FORScan knows what to do, of course.

For wireless adapters, a "BAFX" (sold at Amazon for $20.99, for example) is both good and popular (EDIT: it uses Bluetooth). I own one. For wired adapters, I like my OBDLink SX (about $40 now, $32 when I bought mine).

(At some point, Ford began using the MS-CAN protocol on some nodes and to talk to those nodes you'd need a more expensive ELM327 adapter, like the OBDLink EX or the OBDLink MX+ or one of the devices with a mechanical switch to select HS-CAN or MS-CAN.)

If you have a laptop that can run Windows (from 'XP' upward), then download "FORScan for Windows" (it's free). If the laptop has no Bluetooth capability, then go for a wired ELM327 adapter.

If you have a tablet or smartphone that runs Android, you can buy "FORScan Lite for Android" ($6). If you just want to read the ABS codes and don't need to clear them, then even the free "FORScan Demo for Android" will suffice. And you'll probably want a wireless adapter like the BAFX, but a wired adapter can be made to work sometimes too.

+1

THANK YOU for that wealth of knowledge!!!!! Seems like amazon has the obdlink EX for 33.95
https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-EX-FORScan-OBD-Adapter/dp/B081VQVD3F/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=OBDLINK+EX&qid=1606338565&sr=8-2

I am thinking it may be better to just get the EX and just download the windows program for free. Thoughts?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am thinking it may be better to just get the EX and just download the windows program for free. Thoughts?
I work at the dealership. Sometimes I use ForScan at work because it is less temperamental than the software Ford gives us, and free download, so that's my thoughts.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a good price ($34) for the OBDLink EX. It looks like it's usually $60 at Amazon but there's a "coupon" for $26 off. The manufacturer (https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-ex/) has it on sale too, but it's only a $10 savings ($60 -> $50).

Wired ELM327 adapters are faster and typically more reliable than wireless (Bluetooth or WiFi) ELM327 adapters. (The WiFi ELM327 adapters seemed to have a lot of problems and seem to be getting rarer these days, probably for good reason. I would not consider a WiFi adapter at all, given all the problems I've heard about them. For wireless, for me, it has to be Bluetooth.)

As for the OBDLink EX, I seem to recall that there were some "teething" problems with them early on. I don't recall if it was driver issues (e.g. on Windows) or firmware issues with the adapter itself (or both). They may have gotten things working well by now, but you might want to check out the FORScan forums for info. This 5-page thread about the OBDLink EX is probably a good starting point.

Assuming that the OBDLink EX is working well these days, it's probably a good choice to help extend the usefulness for future/newer Ford vehicles that you might own. However, be aware that it does not support GM's Single-Wire CAN (SWCAN), so if modern GM vehicles are in your future, the OBDLink EX might not be the best choice, long-term.

TL;DR: That's a long-winded way of saying that I think the OBDLink EX is probably a good choice these days, but I'd hate to give you bad advice given that I don't own one myself.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Orca, I thank you!! You have been so helpful. I am gonna get the EX. I just need it to check ABS code and see what needs to be replaced and any other future Codes that come up. Much appreciated!!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I get the OBD Link EX get it all setup on Forscan and go to the truck to pull ABS codes and nothing. Doesn't even to be reading the ABS module. Am I doing something wrong here??? Some pics for reference. Very frustrating!

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
To better describe what is going on. Turn on the truck ABS light is off. Drive down the street at 10-15mph it goes on. Turn off the truck and restart it and the light is off. Drive again at that speed and it comes back on.

Side note changed the brake switch the day before the light went on. So went returned it and tried another switch from another auto part store and it still came on.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is a shot in the dark at something making noises in the dark.

Try replacing the rear wheel speed sensor in the top of the diff.

You have a missing wheel speed signal with an intact circuit. That's why the light stays off until you start moving. The rear sensor was a problematic part.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ummm another shot in the dark, did you check your brake fluid? Pretty sure the ABS light is the same light for the fluid level.

Also, don't the ABS codes/data actually come out of the GEM module not a stand alone ABS module?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just ordered the rear speed sensor as a shot in the dark like you said.

And yeah checked brake fluid and the GEM handles wipers lights and all that stuff, did not see anything to do with braking or ABS in there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals