• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to make a 4 banger faster?

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
lolocopters at all the hillbillys that say v8 swap and 4 cyl is useless. only in bfe can you swap a 302 and get away with it, swap a v8 into a ranger and get caught in ca or other smog states and your trucks getting towed, a heavy fine, and walking home. another bonus of keeping the 2.3 is built NA or turbo'd in the 200-275hp range you'll still be pulling near 30mpg if you try and youll be hard pressed to find a v8 thats going to pull that.

23ns in the ranger has a forged crank good to 7500rpm, metal timing chain guides, no balance shaft, and a d20 head with smaller ports for better low end tq. the head and intake manifold are going to limit your NA power to around 200. pistons, rods, cams, everything to have a "built" motor is out there and way cheaper then building a honda. you said no boost and its true NA is Best! but these motors do love teh turbu and thats where the real powers at.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/
http://www.fswerks.com/
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0081.html

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Lol at the guy talking about hillbillies, yet he can't spell....
Also not everyone lives in a smog state... And just bc of that doesn't mean they are hillbillies. Stereotyping's not cool man.

And unless you can find used parts to turbo or whatever the 2.3; a v8 swap is probably more budget friendly for the power gain. Can a 2.3 be built? Sure.. But what's the cost comparison between building or swapping? Idk.. That's why I'm asking. I did a 4.0 swap in my 2.9 b2 for less than $400 and I'm happy with the outcome. However a v8 swap is a little more involved.

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can a V8 in a ranger in a smog state and still be completely legal. First off obdII vehicles don't get sniffed anymore the tech just hooks up a code reader and checks to see that you have less than X number of faulty sensors. For obdI or older you can put a catalytic converter in and it should pass the sniffer test, if it doesn't put a second one on. I've heard of people doing it and still driving on the street without problems. As for mpg putting a V8 in a little truck means the engine doesn't have to work as hard to push a load. If properly tuned a swap won't suck gas. Ask the guys on here what mileage they get.

Know your state laws before you start your squawking.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Why not put a turbo coupe or svo motor. Its a 90 percent y direct swap. And 300whp can be had pretty easy

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Well, from his nick profile he has a 2004 truck, which is the duratec, and turbo coupe and svo motor arent a direct swap at all in the obdII trucks. Duratec engines can handle good amounts of boost too stock.

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Ahh well I retract my previous statement. I assumed it was a lima motor

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4 door ranger and i want to make it kind of a prerunner and it has a 4 cylinder 2.3l engine and i want to know how can i make it faster without putting turbo
Drop a V12 in it!...nah

This made a difference in mine:

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121936

Other things I'm going to do to make mine faster are fluid, filters & tune up with Motorcraft parts and full synthetic oil (Royal Purple or Amsoil). I'm doing a Goodyear Gatorback belt as soon as I find a dealer.** The Alcoa rims for these may speed it up too if they weigh less, like I suspect they do. If you have a automatic, a shift improver or shift kit would help.

**I only recommend the belt because I don't know about performance benefits, but reduction in heat and noise are drastic on some engines.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Drop a V12 in it!...nah

This made a difference in mine:

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121936

Other things I'm going to do to make mine faster are fluid, filters & tune up with Motorcraft parts and full synthetic oil (Royal Purple or Amsoil). I'm doing a Goodyear Gatorback belt as soon as I find a dealer.** The Alcoa rims for these may speed it up too if they weigh less, like I suspect they do. If you have a automatic, a shift improver or shift kit would help.

**I only recommend the belt because I don't know about performance benefits, but reduction in heat and noise are drastic on some engines.
This is a joke... I hope? Ridiculously overpriced oil, regular maintenance items, and a set of rims? Please be joking...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
This is a joke... I hope? Ridiculously overpriced oil, regular maintenance items, and a set of rims? Please be joking...
Well, the tune up may help. It depends on when the last time any maintenance was done.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No joke. Hyperbole on the power increase? Depends on your views of power, engine efficiency, vehicle speeds, etc.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No joke. Hyperbole on the power increase? Depends on your views of power, engine efficiency, vehicle speeds, etc.
How does it depend on your "...views of power, engine efficiency, vehicle speeds, etc." If it won't work?

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How does it depend on your "...views of power, engine efficiency, vehicle speeds, etc." If it won't work?
A full tune up on anything (assuming high mileage) will show power increase on a chassis dyno. Even if it is 1-10 HP increase. That works in my opinion.

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
On my daily beater, my air filter, sparkplugs, wires and all the shizzle have over 120 000 km on them, and truck is still running great and starting every morning even at -35 celcius temps... Doing oil changes each 12 000 km on regular oil... Yep, didnt put a dime under the hood for 5 years now and no problem at all. ahahah maybe a tune up would make my truck do a few more kms each tank, but, I really don't care. This truck won't ever die and it's beaten to death daily lmao.

1-10hp increase isn't really an increase of power if you do notice any after a tune up..
I say go big or go home, turbo or v8 swap then you will have real power gains.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Volvo DOHC head, custom rotating assembly balanced to 10,000rpm, and some serious camshaft profiles will easily get you into the 200 hp range at redline. Sure your powerband will "come on" at around 6500rpm (so you'll need to drive in this range all the time), but you successfully made V6 peak power without turbos or nitrous.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 4 door ranger and i want to make it kind of a prerunner and it has a 4 cylinder 2.3l engine and i want to know how can i make it faster without putting turbo

Ford did not make a 4 door 4 cyl Ranger in 2004....someone must have already made an engine swap before you owned it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals