• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to lower the rear?

dhdaniel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would like to lower the rear on my 2019 XLT Ranger. Maybe 2 or 3 inches. Where it would sit more level.
Not interested in raising the front to level. Nor changing tire sizes. I dont tow trailers, I dont haul much of anything,
What are my options?

Thanks
Dave

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Longer shackles. I dropped the rear of my Lightning 1.5 inches with two inch shackles. Going to purchase some four inch shackles from JLP soon, it needs to go down another two since I am running lower profile tires. I want to lower the rear of my Ranger two inches as well. It's too high when compared to the front.

Derek costello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Longer shackles. I dropped the rear of my Lightning 1.5 inches with two inch shackles. Going to purchase some four inch shackles from JLP soon, it needs to go down another two since I am running lower profile tires. I want to lower the rear of my Ranger two inches as well. It's too high when compared to the front.
A 150 lightning has the rear axle on top of the leaf spring so lowering blocks installed between the leaf and axle would bring the truck height down,
( the thickness of the aluminum lowering blocks). But the new Rangers have the rear leaf spring on top of the axle so the only way to lower the truck is to use SHORTER rear shackles at the far rear of the spring ! You are limited to about 2" as there is only a limited space between the frame and the spring hangers (shackles). The best way to get a nice 2 1/2" to 3" lower stance is to have your spring shop remove the main leaf and De-arch (flatten) the
leaf to give you a level ride height.
Another way is to wait till the ride height people come out with an axle flip kit for these new Rangers !

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's incorrect. The axle on the Gen. II Lightning's is below the springs. I have two inch shackles on it now, I put them there. The axle was never above the springs, just like my Ranger.

I don't know about the Gen. I Lightnings. Maybe the axle is above the springs on that, but I somehow doubt it.

Derek costello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That's incorrect. The axle on the Gen. II Lightning's is below the springs. I have two inch shackles on it now, I put them there. The axle was never above the springs, just like my Ranger.

I don't know about the Gen. I Lightnings. Maybe the axle is above the springs on that, but I somehow doubt it.
Hi, The spring rear leaf is indeed on top of the axle so a longer shackle will only make the truck higher !! 2021 RANGER
Derek

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You know not what you are talking about Skippy. I own the damn thing. I put the shackles on it. The spring is on top of the shackles. Which is why longer shackles lower it. See pictures below. The one with the red cover is mine. The others belong to other guys.

If you are talking about your 2021 Ranger, I have no clue. But obviously, if that is the case, you are correct that blocks are the way to go. Whether shackles would make it higher or lower depends on where the spring is mounted. If the spring is mounted on top of the shackles, longer shackles will lower it. Longer shackles will push the spring up higher, toward the bed, lowering the rear. If the spring is on the bottom of the shackles, then yeah, it will lift it up, like so many used to do back int he bad old days of the 60's and 70's.

Attachments

Derek costello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You know not what you are talking about Skippy. I own the damn thing. I put the shackles on it. The spring is on top of the shackles. Which is why longer shackles lower it. See pictures below. The one with the red cover is mine. The others belong to other guys.

If you are talking about your 2021 Ranger, I have no clue. But obviously, if that is the case, you are correct that blocks are the way to go. Whether shackles would make it higher or lower depends on where the spring is mounted. If the spring is mounted on top of the shackles, longer shackles will lower it. Longer shackles will push the spring up higher, toward the bed, lowering the rear. If the spring is on the bottom of the shackles, then yeah, it will lift it up, like so many used to do back int he bad old days of the 60's and 70's.
Hi, Skippy here,.... I see we are both right, if the spring hanger is fastened to the side of the frame longer shackles would lower the truck regardless of the axle mounting position ! But if the axle is mounted on the bottom of the spring ...and..... the spring is mounted directly under the frame with the top bolt of the shackle going through the frame the only way to lower is a SHORTER shackle! That is limited by the lengthening of the spring as it flexes.
So flipping the axle mount or flattening the spring is the only way to lower a 2021 Ranger truck (I have one). Derek

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
The best way to get a nice 2 1/2" to 3" lower stance is to have your spring shop remove the main leaf and De-arch (flatten) the
leaf to give you a level ride height.
If one re-arcs the leaves ALL of them have to be re-arced. All of them have to be arced to the same arch so that the weight is evenly distributed along the length of each leaf as a group. If one just does the main leaf then when the group are re bolted back together the main leaf will constantly try to separate itself in front of & behind the retaining bolt from the rest below it.

Derek costello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If one re-arcs the leaves ALL of them have to be re-arced. All of them have to be arced to the same arch so that the weight is evenly distributed along the length of each leaf as a group. If one just does the main leaf then when the group are re bolted back together the main leaf will constantly try to separate itself in front of & behind the retaining bolt from the rest below it.
It is nice to give all points of view but if we remember the discussion refers ONLY to a 2021 ford ranger this truck has only ONE rear leaf, the other
leaf is a separated helper, which comes into play when the truck is loaded to it's max.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
The only photos I've seen of the undercarriage of the 2017-2020 Rangers display a multi leaf suspension such as the Tremor.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is nice to give all points of view but if we remember the discussion refers ONLY to a 2021 ford ranger this truck has only ONE rear leaf, the other
leaf is a separated helper, which comes into play when the truck is loaded to it's max.
OP says it's a 19.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
OK lets all take a deep breath...

None of the bickering is solving anybody's question.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Here is a photo of a 2019 Ranger rear suspension.
  • Longer shackles will raise the back of the truck.
A reputable spring shop could re-arch the mono-leaf and that would lower the truck. However that will put the mono-leaf very close to the helper spring. You'll likely lose hauling capacity, towing capacity and ride quality.

Happy Trails!

006.JPG

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@HenryMac

Any chance you have the shackle picture?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals