• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To Lower An 83 Ranger?

sean9721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My friend has an 83 Ranger and wants to lower it. Summit Racing doesnt have kits for 83s. Where would he be able to find one?

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lowering beams for first gens are getting hard to find...and expensive. They have the balljoint in the axle as opposed to in the spindle like 89 - on. LMCtruck.com has beams for first gen Rangers and then get some coils too for about 5 inchs in the front. Then just flip the rear axle and flip the hangers for abour 7 in the back. A flip kit is pretty much universal for Rangers 83 to 97.

sean9721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Lowering beams for first gens are getting hard to find...and expensive. They have the balljoint in the axle as opposed to in the spindle like 89 - on. LMCtruck.com has beams for first gen Rangers and then get some coils too for about 5 inchs in the front. Then just flip the rear axle and flip the hangers for abour 7 in the back. A flip kit is pretty much universal for Rangers 83 to 97.
Thanks. I didnt even think about LMC.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual

thats very true about the spindles and beams.

something you could do, swap out to the newer beams and spindles. buy the beams for the 89-97 and get the spindlas from a 89-94, or you could even get the spindles and brake's from a 95-97 ranger and get the dual pistion bolt on cal's....just something to think about.

Yvan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l.
Transmission
Manual
Me i get my drop beams from "Stylin truck", for my 87 ford ranger and it cost 406$, it gives me a 3 inches drop, and they fits from 83 to 87.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
DJM makes the beams and flip kit you need

insaneranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/40 R18
I ordered a set of lowered I-Beams from Chassis Tech and a rear flip kit for my '88 ext. cab. The Chassis tech beams are MUCH stronger than DJM and allow your truck to be realigned to factory specs. DJM beams are round and will bend...Chassis Techs are true I-Beams and will hold up to anything...even hopping!

insaneranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/40 R18
Check AIM Industries (Chassis Tech) for easy bolt on kits for the front and rear. If he wants to go extreme, check out suicidedoors.com for their weld on kits. It all depends on how low you want to go.

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Chassis tech is way over priced and not to mention they take way more notching to lay out on, I have never heard of anybodys DJM beams bending other than in Chassis Techs ads. And sd's bag brackets are not that great of a design unless you are trying to lay on something smaller than a 17 and even then there not that good. I've been in this business for a while now and my life pretty much revolves around rangers and suspensions. But I wont go into it anymore before I talk to a mod about advertising. I signed up on here because I noticed alot of wrong facts floating around and thought I would try and help correct alot of the miss conceptions with ranger suspensions.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
We've had the debate over DJM Dream Beams several times. There was only one guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy that said they managed to bend their Dream Beams. So take that for whatever it is worth.

My advise to people is get what ever you can get a better price on. If you plan to bag the truck, DJM is for sure the way to go. If not, like me, don't worry about it. I have Chassis Tech's beams but I paid a fair price for them a LONG time ago. The only draw back I've ever heard about DJM is that they don't have a steering stop built in. The Chassis Tech beams have a large stop that limits turning. Wide rims with a lot of back spacing will rub on DJM while having a non-issue with Chassis Tech.

James

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Sean, Don't believe I've noticed you around the forums before. From one georgia boy to another, here's a belated Welcome to the forums.

Summit Racing up there in McDonough should have the Dream Beams their part number listing is DJM-DB3002-3. They also have the rear flip brackets which is part number DJM-FK3001-4. Whether you need the rear or not deends on the stance wanted. If he likes rake he would probably be happy with the beams and a shackle flip, if he doesn't the beams and flip kit should put it level front to rear.

Please check summit again before buying from LMC. The ones LMC has are the DJM beams, and they have a tendency to overcharge.

As to what insaneranger said about the I-beams vs the Round beams. I have seen bent lowered I-beams, but can't recall if they were chassistech or belltech. They looked like somebody reached under them from behind and pulled back and up. On the other had this is the first time I've heard (aside from the competitors ad mentioned above) of a set of dream beams bending and it wasn't from someone with first hand knowledge.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Slammed Good to see you over here. We needed someone like you to help us out.

There's a few of us around here that try to help questions asked. I must admit though on the few occasions that I have to read and respond I can only do so with the knowledge from reading, a lot of which has been over on RPS.

Say you do happen to remember the part number for the adjustable camber caster bushings that are used on the 1st gen rangers? Ya know the 3 or 3.5 +/- ones available from NAPA. The location I used to deal with knew the bushings I was talking about, but they closed so I'd rather go to another one with the number in hand.

dj224ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
i had a set of djm beams on my truck and was in a head on collision with a 03 f150 and still used the beams on my new truck the beams werent bent at all so i beleive in them

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive heard of chassis tech beams bending in accidents and a couple of trucks with djm that survived and were proven on frame, and alignment rack to be in spec. Thanks for the comments JoshT. On the alignment eccentrics I'm not sure whats really available for the first gens but 89-97 you can get the +- 4 degree ones from NAPA I can go find the part number later if your still interested in that one.

Yvan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l.
Transmission
Manual
It's the same for first gen, a got some on my 87.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals