• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to identify scraping noise?

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
Good evening, I recently lowered my truck (2, 3, so not too much), fitted it with new wheels and small spacers and replaced brakes (rotors pads calipers fluid and hardware) on all four corners and the 2WD front hub bearings on the front. After dropping it off for an alignment and getting it back, I hear a scraping noise going up driveway endings, just before stopping completely, and turning just before full lock (I don't think i am rubbing but I'm not sure either...). I am trying to identify where the scraping sound is coming from, I think it could be the front brake hardware or the dust shield bolt, they were both scraping the rotor before reinstalled them. I don't know if this is relevant but my alignment guy told me my front right lower control arm is bad, again don't know if that would contribute to the sound but who knows. Any thoughts on what it could be?

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
I might have found two things I think could be causing them, but I still need help to be sure. The main cause for it I think is in the rear end, I lifted my truck in the air to take a look around and I shook one of the bedsides and it replicated the sound perfectly, but I don't know where it would be coming from, what things make noise in the rear end? The secondary cause I still think is the brake dust shield, I took a picture of it and it looks like the Tie Rod End is just resting on it. But also it could be the dust shield bolts rubbing the rotor, but if I removed them, would the tie rod ends rest on the rotors?? Any help would be great.
tre.PNG

(Passenger Front Corner but same look on other side)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals