• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to get the best mpg?

RangerDan99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter V6
Transmission
Manual
stay away from e3 spark plugs. they gave me a better gas millage for the first month and then it was downhil from there. gave me a miss in the third cylinder. and then were almost impossibal to get out. there only good in lawnmowers. best spark plug is the double plaium plugs stock ones from motorcraft. only way to get better gas milliage is get a freshair intake and k&n airfiliter. tht honestly helped out my truck. btw im running P255/70/16 semi agressve tires and im only getting 15 city and 17 highway on a good day. i have the a 4.0l 4x4 single cab with 4.10 gears what am i doing wrong. ( fresh tune up clean air filiter and oil change every 3000 miles with full synthic motor oil.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I use the Motorcraft platinums, great plugs. I've had a K&N and a Volant intake in the past and never noticed a differance in gas millage. I've gone back to the stock intake since then. I get 17 mpg driving country and city roads with a 4.0 OHV, 3.73's and 32's. I don't log many miles on the highway, so I'm not up to snuff with what my mpg is there. I'll be driving to Wisconson from Michigan and back next weekend. I guess I'll be finding out soon.

RangerDan99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah i have the same set up with the intake i have a volant as well let me know what you get on the highway on the trip

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
great fuel mix, with the proper octane, timing, double platinum plugs. good wires, ect. check the o2 sensors as it/they may cause the computer to feed the wrong air/fuel ratio for best running. slow start/stops. coasting or part throttle when slowing. (coasting in some areas = big ticket)... correct sizing of tires, how tall /how wide, also tread type and pressure. big wide and aggressive = using lots of fuel. narrow high pressure and tires with tread cut like the front tires on trucks or electric cars. body aerodynamics do help. a front air dam, side skirts and under body skin will all help. also a cab reversed arrow flare cap.
think of a sleeper, that starts at the roofline and tapers to the tail gate. or to the bed if tailgate is removed. the arrow cap can help up to 4 mpg with a 2x4 pickup. b sure to use plexiglass so you will have use of the back window...
the below trucks i get 18-24 with the 1 ton, 30-38 with the ranger.. this is while averaging 67 mph...

Last edited:

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i have the same set up with the intake i have a volant as well let me know what you get on the highway on the trip
I think you may have mis-understood my last post, not to prod at you. I use the stock intake now.

I got 20.5 mpg on my 1,000 mile round trip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals