• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: Easy dana 70 swap in 98ranger

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd rather have the ground clearance myself. You build a disc 8.8 properly with C-clip eliminators and you can run 36s or 37s all day long w/out a problem. I would prob upgrade to chomoly axles tho just be be on the safe side. But w/ a V6, I wouldnt really worry about it.

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I'd rather have the ground clearance myself. You build a disc 8.8 properly with C-clip eliminators and you can run 36s or 37s all day long w/out a problem. I would prob upgrade to chomoly axles tho just be be on the safe side. But w/ a V6, I wouldnt really worry about it.
Like i said this is middle of the metamorphasis, it will be on atleast 36's but i think i scored a screaming deal on some 39in iroks today so i guess its 39s:headbang:

I have another 87 4x4 ranger im going to be eventually dding once i replace the heads on the 2.9:bawling:

So this is eventually by summer time going to be a 351 with np435 with 203/205 doubler so it may not be so much needed now but with a v8 and the low range of the 435 im gonna be very thankfull to have the full float 70 rear:D

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
aaaahahaha :icon_rofl:

harsh
I know u guys with TTB dont really have to deal with it, but its a pretty natural thing on the IFS rangers for them to lean towards the drivers side!:thefinger:

these things definetly didnt come balanced from the factory, my gas tank is on the drivers side and i rarely ever have a passenger so with my ass and a full tank constantly and over 200,000 miles on it the front suspension definetly has some sag in it now:icon_rofl: it should all be taken care of with a 3link:icon_thumby:

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know u guys with TTB dont really have to deal with it, but its a pretty natural thing on the IFS rangers for them to lean towards the drivers side!:thefinger:

these things definetly didnt come balanced from the factory, my gas tank is on the drivers side and i rarely ever have a passenger so with my ass and a full tank constantly and over 200,000 miles on it the front suspension definetly has some sag in it now:icon_rofl: it should all be taken care of with a 3link:icon_thumby:
Mine doesn't lean anymore ;) Not try to down on you was just surprised how you smoked an 8.8" that often.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it actually sits perfectly level side to side and front to back now. . .

and yes for the time being i have 5lug front and 8lug rear:thefinger: I have my 8lug 44 sitting in my garage just still collecting parts. . . I had to kinda rush the rear in my truck since i blew another shaft in the 8.8 and was sick of fixing it!!!
yeah....i can dig that

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Actually all of the TTB rangers that I have seen have this issue, including my own.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i love it..

32s:thefinger: haha but im pretty hard on it, and it sure as hell doesnt help it was spooled up in the rear:shok: which driving it daily definetly adds more stress:bawling:

Honestly after 3 snapped shafts and 1 spun axle tube it was just time to upgrade!:headbang:

I think it has alot to do with my driving style, along with the fact is i have taught 4 friends in the past 6months to drive a manual on my truck and it was really hard on my truck.:dunno:
you sound kinda like me.. i like your style. if your not gonna beat on it, buy a car!

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Mine doesn't lean anymore ;) Not try to down on you was just surprised how you smoked an 8.8" that often.
Haha no worries man, I think the main problem i have is im used to driving a 79 350 and a77 250 one with a 14bolt and one with a 60 in the rears, so im kinda acustomed to beating on my axles pretty hard. . .

But honestly i can stand swappin shafts out the thing that i cant stand nemore is the usual 1/2 a damn mile i have to chase my tire when i do break a shaft! nothing like full float in my book!!!

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Actually all of the TTB rangers that I have seen have this issue, including my own.
Hmmm my 87 doesnt maybe cause its all stock and an old mans truck?:icon_rofl:

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
i love it..

you sound kinda like me.. i like your style. if your not gonna beat on it, buy a car!
Haha ya exactly i did the whole car thing for awhile and is all it got me was a bunch of tickets:icon_idea: I live in a pretty small town where all the cops know me by first name basis and owning a truck keeps ya under their radar for the most part!!!

And ya i beat this thing pretty good, i live up on the west side of WA super tight trails and i love my old dentsides way to damn much to go destroy them in the woods so i take my ranger!!! She usually fairs pretty good but i dont think i know when the best time to stop and give up is sometimes:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad