• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to determine original & current ride height (whether stock or lifted)

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've done research over the years a bit here and there but never nailed it down. I know for example, there was the high ryder in the 80s but from what I read that was a single cab? I know STX models may have a lift? Somewhere along the lines it gets jumbled up for me though.

Anyway, I feel I may need to replace my springs up front and I'm trying to correct the ride height (hasn't been quite right since that crazy moment involving mud, clay, and an uphill yank involving an f250 that couldn't hear the horn implying stop over it's own diesel..) HOW do I determine if I've a lift, if it's stock for it's year, or what? Looking to replace springs and get correct shocks.

I plan to order a Marti report just to see what was extra when purchased but that'll be later on.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't think the STX Highrider appeared until 1987 (I see '86 for your model year). The easy way to tell though (if it's factory) is the presence of RIVETED-in drop brackets on your radius arm frame crossmember (bolted-in ones would not be stock, and could be an aftermarket lift).

If you do not have drop brackets or spacers of any sort lowering the crossmember, then you should be able to order coil springs simply based on your model year, engine & body type.

There's still the chance your truck could have a leveling-coil lift on it, which is harder to tell without another (stock) truck next to yours to reference it to. Typically such springs will sit taller than 11.5" with the trucks weight on them (usually around 12"), but if things are a bit tweaked up under there, there may not be a good way to tell for sure.

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I really appreciate it. I'll double check it this weekend and get ready to order a bunch of parts next week so I can hopefully do everything at once, get an alignment, put on my new tires, and call the front end done

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look here: https://www.therangerstation.com/stock-ranger-specifications/ford-ranger-dimensions/

Look at Overall Height, in.
1983 to 1992 looks to be 64 inches, and thats the top of the cab in the center, highest point of vehicle

4x4 may be 3 to 4 inches higher, but half of that is larger diameter tire sizes on 4x4s

If you look at drivers door label it will have Stock tire size, so you can check if you have that size now or lager diameter so higher Cab height

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well when I bought it, she had 235 75 15 and that's what I've kept on there since the speedometer reads correctly. Reason I want to replace springs is I've a feeling my driver side sitting lower is because of the spring, and I just want to refresh everything really anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals