• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to change your Odometer when doing a gauge swap...95-03 trucks

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
98-03 ranger, 95-01 explorer, 99-04ish sporttac and sport explorers.

thundercleese

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just finished a swap in my 97 w/o tach to a 96 w/ tach. It's true that the check engine light was moved in 97 to the left side. Now my check engine light is a check fuel cap light. No biggie, I can deal and just know that the check cap light is the engine light.

The write up is great and I would have never been able to do the swap with out it. I must say that the worst part is changing the odo to read right, I almost screamed after about 4 times of doing it!:annoyed:

But when it was finished it was great and I rewarded myself with a beer.:beer:

thantil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I swapped mine two days ago it worked fine.
as far as the lights - they are what they are. check engine is not gas cap
and gas cap is not chek engine the wiring is the same just lights and guages are located differently.
I did have to do mine twice though because the air bag light was bad but could not tell buy looking at it.
as far as the odometer goes I rolled new one forward but still have old one if i need it.

Steve_440

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
95-96 are interchangeable within their years. 98+ need some re-pinning in order to fit 95-96.

The 97's changed the position of the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT to the left side of the cluster I BELIEVE (95-96 have the CEL below the batt gauge) , so I would assume 97's can only be changed within 97s. Has anyone changed their cluster in a 97? I'm still not 100% sure on this though. But confirmed, 95-96 can be changed from within RBV.

Nice write up by the way.
Hi,
I stumbled across this thread from a search and was wondering if the tach swap applies to four cylinders as well as six? Mine is a 96 four cylinder and the one I found claims it only fits a 96 97 six cylinder.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We do this with a little bit of wire, alligator clips/roach clips, and a new AA battery. DISCLAIMER: IN NO WAY SHALL THIS HOW-TO BE USED FOR ANY UNLAWFULL DOINGS.
You'd know nothing of anything illegal :icon_rofl:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i finally replaced my cluster with a white one, and since i rolled the odo, thsi guide helped me a lot!! thanks FX4!!!

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Wow! Although I'll probably never do this, you did a great gob of taking pictures and giving deep descriptions!

61corv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gauge swap.

Sounds simple enough. But the gauge set w/tach, we bought has a circuit board in one of the connections on the back, where a plug goes??? top right side when looking at backof cluster. Is this needed? Both are 2000 models.

95Xsport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know it's an old thread but it was nice and detailed so I gave it a go. I got to the part where you connect the battery back to the gator clips and set the speedo needle back in. I did that step but when I disconnected the battery, the needle either drops slowly and never makes it to the stop or it just says frozen. If I push it to the stop with my finger and connect the battery again, it will go back up to 70mph but again, will stay frozen or not move much.

Any ideas what could cause that? The needle would drop fine before.

Last edited:

coopg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
help

Hey guys it has been a while to say the least. I'm looking to swap out my cluster and install one with a tach. I have a 99 ford ranger v6 3.0. I have read several post that is is a simple plug in play, but nothing is ever so easy. I recently got my hand on a 2003 ranger cluster with a tach. I installed it but the speedo, oil temp and odometer wouldn't work, the tach worked.. haha. I wasn't sure if I needed to re-pin the connectors or if I got a bum cluster from the junk yard. Please any help you can provide would be outstanding. :icon_surprised:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals