Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm pretty anal when it comes to maintenance on my vehicles. My truck just hit 115,000 miles so I decided I'd better replace the brushes in the alternator. I wasn't experiencing any flickering, or any issues at all actually. I just decided to do it for cheap insurance. I bought this kit from the local "A&E Generator" which re-manufactures alternators and starters. The guy gave me new screws, the retaining pin, and the brushes with housing for about 4 dollars. He told me some of them have epoxy on the screws that hold the brush housing to the regulator, but mine was not like that. I'm sure a notch with a Dremel and a flat head screw driver could get them out.

Anyway, I snapped some photos and explained what I did. I've done this so many times, I can do it in my sleep. Saying that, I'd like to note that this is the first time I had an official retaining pin to hold the brushes in place. Every other time I've found bending a paperclip works quite well.

I am open to any wording suggestions. Shout at me, and I'll see what we can come up with. Especially if I misspelled a word(s).

EDIT: I would also like to add that I know this will work on several different alternators. I do know this process here will not work with a 6G alternator because the regulator is internal.

This step below was just a measure to show how the pin retains the brushes in position through the hole. They will need to both be pushed back in order to install them.

Last edited:

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Good write-up and photos! Let's see how to change those pesky bearings ???

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Good write-up and photos! Let's see how to change those pesky bearings ???
Thank you. I have never had to change the bearings before. I certainly will when/if the time comes.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
As of right now there have been 84 "views" of the page. No suggestions yet?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never managed to get the inner race of the small bearing off the shaft. You need a puller, maybe a slide hammer. The big bearing is cake. You can pry the dust cap and regrease them, just like idler/tensioner 6203 bearings.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Good write up, thanks

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thank you RangerSVO, I appreciate the compliment!

Hey Earl43P, thanks for the pics on the bearings. I have a 6G alternator I want to dig into. I replaced one on my neighbors Taurus the other day, so I have her old one. It has bad diodes in it. I started looking into it and it has a sealed bearing on the back that resides in a plastic sleeve. I tried to get it off of there, but I think it's going to require me fashioning some kind of a puller to get it out. Ever tried working on a 6G? When I watched a buddy of mine do a field coil in a 3G, the back popped right off.

I actually have two 3G's for a 4.0 Ranger/Explorer and my factory Mustang alternator sitting around too.......me and my spare parts