• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to change motor mounts of 2.9 A4LD

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
what’s the best way of going about this procedure, videos on youtube are pretty unclear and only display one mount being replaced. i want to do both motor mounts and tranny mount

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pretty easy, each motor mount has a nut on the top side and a nut on the bottom of the engine crossmember... remove the top ones, lift up the engine, remove the bottom nuts and pull the motor mounts out. Installation is the reverse of removal. It's pretty tight in there, not much room to move things around. Use an engine hoist you trust because your hands will be in there in harm's way for quite a while.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
Pretty easy, each motor mount has a nut on the top side and a nut on the bottom of the engine crossmember... remove the top ones, lift up the engine, remove the bottom nuts and pull the motor mounts out. Installation is the reverse of removal. It's pretty tight in there, not much room to move things around. Use an engine hoist you trust because your hands will be in there in harm's way for quite a while.
if i wanted to do the tranny mount as well should i remove all of them at once or do motor then tranny? also where do you recommend jackin up from

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do the motor and then the tranny. The tranny mount will help hold everything in place somewhat, but still allow you to lift the engine. Same with the tranny mount, the motor mounts will help hold things in place, but still allow you to lift the tranny up to replace the mount.

The previous poster suggested a engine lift. If you do not have one, you can use a floor jack, but cut a piece of plywood to fit onto the oil pan to help support it. It's best if the plywood overhangs the edges a little bit, that is where the oil pan is the strongest. You can do the same for the tranny, jacking up on the pan using a piece of plywood that covers the pan just over the edges.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can jack up either the trans itself or the transfer case. Remove the two nuts on the trans mount first. Then remove the crossmember... two bolts holding the mount on. Super easy

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
Do the motor and then the tranny. The tranny mount will help hold everything in place somewhat, but still allow you to lift the engine. Same with the tranny mount, the motor mounts will help hold things in place, but still allow you to lift the tranny up to replace the mount.

The previous poster suggested a engine lift. If you do not have one, you can use a floor jack, but cut a piece of plywood to fit onto the oil pan to help support it. It's best if the plywood overhangs the edges a little bit, that is where the oil pan is the strongest. You can do the same for the tranny, jacking up on the pan using a piece of plywood that covers the pan just over the edges.
i have an aftermarket pan with a drain plug on the trans pan should i shoot for the transfer case option?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
i have an aftermarket pan with a drain plug on the trans pan should i shoot for the transfer case option?
Yes, always use your best judgement. A piece of plywood resting on a drain plug would not be good and would bend the pan. The transfer case idea sounds solid. Or a piece of plywood with a large hole drilled in it that fits around the drain plug.

But the transfer case is a pretty stout casting and should hold up to being jacked up. Just stay clear of any sensors and wires/shift motors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals