• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To Add foctory power doors

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Original Poster: John H. AKA wvcat

Difficulty: 7 out of 10

Time to install: Approximatley 6-8hrs

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: This is a how to to add power doors to your truck. Power windows, door locks and mirrors. I am not going to cover adding the individual components here because I added complete power doors to a project truck. In my case I am working with a 2000 ranger xl 4wd but most rangers should be similar with the exception of different color wires on different years. Before you even start consider the following. If you hook something up wrong you could damage the computer components in your truck and therefore this is a do at your own risk type mod. Basically you will be adding a wiring harness, 5 relays, hooking in to the fuse box for 3 seperate power supplies and adding wires to the gem module. When complete the system will work as if factory installed and will even include the auto down function on the drivers door window as well as the accessory delay relay that allows you to roll the windows up after you have removed the keys. (this cancels when you open your door) It would be possible to make your own harness and install it without removing the dash however I removed the dash and used a factory donor harness that had power doors from a 2wd truck. If you could economically find a factory harness swaping it in would save you some work. I had no luck finding one. Ok here goes.

Tools Needed:
Typical hand tools
Wire Strippers
Wire Crimpers

Parts Needed:
Donor Harness (with power options and relays)
Butt connectors
Electrical Tape
Power Doors

I am not going to cover removing the dash but here is the factory dash removed without any modifications to the harness.

I removed the factory harness from the dash. Note the door plug near the fuse box with only 4 wires on the drivers side.

After dismantling the donor harness here is what is required for the power doors.

Here's the difference between a power door plug and a manual door plug. Note the wires on the power door plug donor I have folded over, these are already existing in your truck.

The first step is to remove the wires one by one from the donor harness plug and istall them in the corect position in your factory harness plug. If you look at the picture above you will see a red piece of plastic inside the plug, this has to be removed and then use a tiny screwdriver or scribe to push the tab back and remove the wire. This is what a removed wire looks like.

After you transfer all the wires this is what it should look like. Don't forget to reinstall the red plastic lock into the plug. Note the 4 factory wires and the 9 you just added.

I just taped the new harness to the existing harness.

You will be required to add this relay box to the center of the dash with 3 mini relays and then 2 other relays. Note the wires going over the black relay box, they go to the gem. The all unlock relay is on the bottom right (note the black relay with red in the plug.

Unfortunatley this is all the pictures I can find so I'm not sure if I have any more but this will get you thae basic idea and cocept of how to do it. Between these pics and the following wiring diagrams you will have all the required information on how to do it. A big thank you goes out to Ramsey Leonard for providing me with the wiring diagrams.

You will need a donor harness with relays or...

the factory wiring pins for the door plugs-approx 20 that snap in
the factory wiring pins for the gem module-approx 5 that snap in
the factory wiring pins for the fuse box-approx 3 that snap in
the factory relay box behind the dash with relays and wiring ends that snap in
the 2 relays for the auto down and accessory delay with plugs and wires
misc wiring supplies such as butt connectors, tape, strippers, and crimpers as well as alot of time to have your truck down, its not really an afternoon job.
Good Luck
John

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Vanessa wants to put power windows in her Ranger. I'm trying to convince her that her arms are long enough to reach the other handle.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
John,

Good job on the work. Would it have been easier to swap the dash wiring harness from the truck that had power locks to the truck that didn't and then do the doors as well?

Can you update it to match the sticky at the top of the submission page? I would like to have this put into the next TRS mag.

Do you also have any finished pictures?

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Vanessa wants to put power windows in her Ranger. I'm trying to convince her that her arms are long enough to reach the other handle.
Jim, you know you can't win an arguement with a woman...lol

John,

Good job on the work. Would it have been easier to swap the dash wiring harness from the truck that had power locks to the truck that didn't and then do the doors as well?

Can you update it to match the sticky at the top of the submission page? I would like to have this put into the next TRS mag.

Do you also have any finished pictures?
Well the reason I didn't change the whole harness was because the power window harness didn't have 4wd and the 4wd harness didn't have the power options...PITA...lol

I'll do the update...

I didn't take any completed pictures but from outward appearences it looked as though the power doors were factory installed.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wanna do that too, but its more because I'm too lazy to reach across.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals