• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How tight should valve cover bolts be?

jcook100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi there,

I was just installing my valve covers and tightening down the bolts when the threads stripped out of one of the holes on the lower intake manifold. Now I have to go get it drilled out and have a helicoil placed in there. My manual said that these bolts should be tightened between 3 - 6 foot-lbs, but even with my torque wrench set at about 4.5, it was too much force and the threads stripped out. So what did I do wrong? My torque wrench is from Harbor Freight, so maybe I need a better one? Or should I just tighten the bolts by feel? I already had one of the thermostat housing bolt holes strip out, so I am pretty frustrated with this issue. I am now scared to tighten any of those lower intake bolts!

Also, am I good to reuse the same gaskets? I will have to remove the lower intake again (sigh) so can I reuse that gasket? And the valve cover ones too? I assume so, but just want to check. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A torque wrench that can do over 100ft/lb is no good under 20ft/lb that's when you need a inch/pound torque wrench

4ft/lb would be 48in/lb, less than "snug", finger tight then maybe 1/4 turn, and use lock-tite on bolts with torque under 15ft/lb

If your valve covers are pressed steel(thin), or plastic, then over tightening causes leaks
Valve covers have no pressure inside, nothing will FORCE oil out, its all splashed oil and gravity that would cause oil to seep out, so you just need a clean flat surface between cover and head to get a good seal, thin coat of RTV doesn't hurt to fill in the "less that flat" sections

jcook100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The lower intake manifold gasket is metal with rubber inlays. The valve cover gaskets are some sort of plastic-rubber combo. Am I good to reuse them?

You are saying to do finger-tight then a 1/4 turn? Or just re-do with an inch-lb torque wrench?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What engine do you have?
2.3l, 2.9l, 3.0l, or 4.0l

Rubber gaskets are usually OK to reuse but I prefer cork gaskets, if available for your engine, cork swells up with oil contact inside the valve cover so is "self sealing" as time passes, but these can not be reused after a year or so, they get brittle
Use RTV on both sides of either

If doing things to spec then use in/lb torque wrench
Once you have been doing engine work for awhile you will get a feel for what's needed as far as tightness in these low torque bolts
Water pump bolts are the same, there are alot, and they are not high torque because there are alot, lol, every inch or two there is a bolt, and people often break theses by over tightening, or strip the holes

Your valve cover bolt hole may have been cross-threaded in the past, easy to do, and this time it just stripped out, so might not have been too much torque this time

jcook100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, RonD. You have helped me several times now and I really appreciate it.

I have the 4.0L.

Looks like I need to get an inch-pounds torque wrench. I used a big one and that it was did it I think.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, any bolt head under 1/2"(12mm) shouldn't be tighten with full size torque wrench, there is just too much leverage with the longer handle

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I don't find any reason to torque valve covers, just use a 1/4" ratchet and put them on with just a little snug once they are all the way in. :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals