• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much value does a NEW ENGINE add to an Old Ranger?

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Say that I have a 1998 Ranger 2WD with a 2.5L 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual. Good tires, etc. Fair body, good interior. It has 200K miles on it. Let's say that it runs fine and is worth $1,800.

How much would the re-sale price go up if the motor were replaced with a completly rebuilt engine? Bored 20-over, new pistons, new crank, valve job, new clutch, new wiring harness, belts, manifolds, radiator, and motor mounts?

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I'd say it's now worth about $2000. The math for parts value vs. whole vehicle value is skewed for many reasons. In some cases, the engine alone is worth about the same as the whole vehicle because someone can take that engine and get their ride going again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It wouldn't be worth it to rebuild the engine just to increase the value of the truck.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Actually, looking at it again, that would be a $1500 truck around here without the rebuilt motor, and $1700 with.

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't rebuild it just to add value. It threw a rod. Then, had to add motor mounts, clutch......

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a new motor just means someone killed the previous one, doesnt really increase value at all, lots of times its more cost effective to sell the motor seperate....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't rebuild it just to add value. It threw a rod. Then, had to add motor mounts, clutch......
Have you done it yet or are you going to?

A runner is worth more than a pusher... With a rod hanging out the side figure somewhere between $2-300/ton. Runner, figure bluebook.

I would just find another running engine if you haven't fixed it yet.

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Already done. Spent about $1,000 on parts and machine shop. Found some good deals on parts. Engine like brand new. Lots of parts from never-installed crate motor that had been stored upside down for 5+ years with water in cylinders. Lots of work. About 50 hours start to finish.

Took truck as payment for debt. I've got about $3,000 invested total, but alternative was $2,000 write-off.

I learned a lot. Hated it during the process, but very satisfying now that it's done. I think I might keep it for a while with the high price of gas. I never thought I'd be driving a tiny little "truck" thogh.

No hurry to sell, so maybe I'll leave it on CL for a few months and hope for a good price. Maybe I'll guarantee the engine, or offer financing?

Lots of spare parts left.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals