• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much should I charge for a resto?

evintho

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I posted this on another forum and got some good feedback. Figured I'd post it here where all the Ranger people are and see what ya'll have to say.

A friend wants me to restore a Ford truck for him. Problem is, I'm not sure what to charge him. I'm retired and I've got the time. This ain't my first rodeo so I've got the knowledge/tools/etc. I enjoy doing this stuff, so there's that. It's a basic '88 Ford Ranger V6/auto w/180k.

It runs good, no codes and his only complaints are no A/C and a lot of oil leaks. I'll run compression/leakdown tests to validate the bottom end then pull motor/trans. Motor will get a valve job, timing chain/gears and oil pump. Any broken/worn parts will be replaced and it'll be given a seal-n-shine. Trans to a trans shop for inspection and seals. I'll rebuild the brake, cooling and HVAC systems and go over the front & rear suspensions. Every square inch will be cleaned, painted and polished. Client will pay for all parts and materials needed. Body and paint will be a separate deal and therefore a separate charge.

The going rate for a qualified mechanic in this area is in the $100-$150 per hour range. I won't even go there, he's a good friend. I figure I'll charge him a flat fee. Right now I'm thinking a flat fee of $1500 for my labor. I'm sure I'll be on it every day for a couple of months (I work slow). Give me an idea of what you guys think a fair charge would be.
Thanks in advance!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Probably more then anyone in their right mind would pay.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Paying someone else to do a restoration is absolutely insane. The sheer amount of time spent finding parts, painting, sanding cleaning scraping, wrenching etc makes the cost astronomical. You could litterally put hundreds of hours in doing a full blown frame off restoration.

Unless you dont value your time, or your friend is the illegitimate son of jeff bezos... walk away. Or at most just offer to lend a hand once in a while but leave it in his hands.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A restoration costs close to the same amount of money and time regardless of make or model. That's why most restorations done for money are done to something that is worth big bucks at the end of the job. Unfortunately a Ranger isn't one of those vehicles.....yet.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Flat fees never work. you end up working way more than you want to and may start resenting your buddy. maybe more like 5 to 6,000 bux for labor, plus parts. and since its your friend, you can throw in extra touches for free.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
$10K labor to start.

At my labor rate I have nearly $30K of time into my mom's Mustang that I am still not done with.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spending $5-10k on a $2k truck doesn't make financial sense for the owner.
Doing thousands of dollars worth of labor for $1500 doesn't make financial sense for you.

But, not everything has to make financial sense. So if your friend has enough emotional investment in this truck to justify spending several times what it's worth on a resto, and you don't really care about getting anywhere near the going rate for labor then charge whatever lets you sleep at night. It's basically charity.

OldMan2

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Do your best to be your best.
Tell him $50 per hour plus parts, and keep documentation of time and parts. Review costs frequently with him.
This sounds like a good way to lose a friend.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
50k pimp his ride!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
What it really comes down is your friend is trying to exploit your abilities and talents. Restoration is a very unique time demanding and expensive, endeavor,. We (now just me) have restored two cars a baby grand piano numerous wooden boats, and other smaller items,. It's almost impossible to put a price tag on restoration.

Maybe some of us get caught up in cable TV shows like Rick's restorations Grease monkeys, pimp my ride.. but it takes years to restore a vehicle even full-time... If you want keep the friendship, pass on the resto..

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would pass. It is going to take longer and cost more than expected to do a proper restoration, guaranteed. And that isn’t factoring in your time and what it is worth.

A project like this either has to be done by a pro with the insurance and legal backing or by the owner, personally, as a labor of love.

The can of worms this would open isn’t worth, more than likely, losing a friendship.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Price out needed parts, add some extra that isn’t going to be enough anyway. Figure up labor and add a little extra... that won’t be enough anyway.

Then prepare for him to flip out because it is too high before you start... and/or too high when you find more wrong than your crystal ball can see from the outside.

evintho

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK, maybe 'resto' wasn't the right word. I plan to pull the drivetrain, do a seal-n-shine, address any issues found and put it all back together cleaning and organizing as I go, just like I've done to half a dozen other projects. If I can pull $1500-$2000 to add to the bankroll for my next project and give Auggie a solid little truck that he can pass on to his boys, we'll both be happy. Auggie isn't a car guy so he couldn't do it himself. In addition, he's quite well off financially. Since I finished the roadster I've been itching to get my hands dirty. Going crazy, actually! I need a bit more of a bankroll before I delve into my next project that's waiting in the wings - '54 Ford Customline 302/AOD combo.
I think this Ranger project would satisfy both me and Auggie. Oh......I'm gonna do it. We still need to have more discussions though. It won't happen until this fall anyhow. When I do begin, I'll make a build thread and post it here as I progress.
Thanks for all the input! I do appreciate it!!

OldMan2

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Do your best to be your best.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Current shop rates at near $100 an hour these days... even if you did it half that... you would have about 40 hours to complete.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals