• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much boost can a stock 2.3 handle?

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I just got to think this morning, How much boost cana stock block handle, and does anybody make a bolt-on turbo kit for the 2.3?
I'm giving a passing thought about give my truck a little more oomph.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Read in the tech library about swapping parts in from a turbo ford (all were the same 2.3) from the 80s. The stock block, crank, and rods are actally quite strong and will put up with fairly intense amounts of boost. The cast ranger pistons are a different story. Any boost at all is playing with fire if you have stock pistons. You can boost them, and some people have with good results, but you're really just asking for disaster.

If you want to turbo it, get forged pistons from one of the turboford cars (I see these pistons on ebay regulary go for < $75 a set) and put them in your engine. Then slap the turbo on, along with a computer and fuel injectors from one of the turbo cars, and boost to your heart's content.

I know taking the motor out to swap pistons sounds like a lot of work, but compared to the other options to get more power, it's not so bad. It's less work than even a 3.0 or 4.0 swap, and the end result is a faster truck than a 3.0, 4.0, or even a mild 5.0 V8 swap would give you.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
i was told (in school) on stock valve train, you can maybe take around 3-5 pounds safely

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You could probably run up to eight pounds, but, boost is incredibly addictive and I will guarantee that you will want to turn it up the first time you feel the rush and hear the acompaning pops and whistles. put the forged internals in and be done with it.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dont even bother with boosting on the stock cast pistons, they will take plenty of boost, but boost isnt the problem with the pistons, its detonation, and every engine expiriences detonation, boost makes the effects worse, and the stocks pistons will crack. It happens everytime its tried. Find a turbo shortblock and bolt your stuff onto it, and integrate the Turbo computer into your setup, the stock ranger computer will max out with very little boost.

lowlowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI
Transmission
Manual
what is a good turbo for 2.3? and when if I get a computer from a tbird is it just unplug the old one and plug in the tbird computer? and can i just modify the stock exhaust manifold to fit a turbo?

Last edited:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your really going to turbo your 2.3, I can tell you have a lot to learn.

First go to Turboford.net, visit the forums, and learn.

Second, good turbos on the 2.3 are everything from an IHI turbo to a Holset cummins turbo, just depends on where you want your power and how much power you want.

The turbo computer requires a repinning of the main connector and adding a couple of connectors to the harness, but thats a piece of cake.

Its not worth it to modify the stock manifold, just get an E6 manifold and your set, they can be had from $25-$50.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just got to think this morning, How much boost cana stock block handle, and does anybody make a bolt-on turbo kit for the 2.3?
Ford made a factory bolt on turbo kit....it came in various cars in the 80's.

YeahItsA4Cyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0 na
Transmission
Manual
quick answer, DONT DO IT. do not boost on a factory setup, USE A 2.3T block! merkur, svo and turbo coupes all had forged internals. buy a forged bottom end and work from there. the easiest thing is get a complete 2.3T engine and do the swap, save u from boosting ur stock block and having to do the swap later because u blew a hole in the piston. and actually i just blew a hole in the piston of my turbocoupe! think the fuel system went faulty and too much detonation and POW!!! so i learned from all of that, even tho i didnt have any mods done, first thing, BUY A HIGH PERFORMANCE FUEL PUMP! i should have bought a walboro 255 fuel pump and this might not have happened :D but then i wouldnt be here because i woulda never gotten my ranger :p

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've been running stock, cast pistons on my supercharged 2.3 for many years now. It's been reliable as the sunrise, but my boost NEVER goes above 5 psi, and I use 94 octane premium fuel to avoid detonation.

Lance Morgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 RANGER WITH
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Dont know how much boost it can handle or how much im pushing guessing 10 lbs i figure ill blow the 2.3 but have a stock 2.5 ready to go in till i can afford the 500 dollar pistons from esslinger for a 2.8 stroker

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals