• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how many sensors on 5R55E trans

spanky50

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" rough country
Tire Size
32" cooper STT
i have a 97 ranger 4x4 4.0 : i have my trans out and bought one from the parts store the one they got me only has 2 sensors on it. the one i took out has 3 on it. I believe mine is a 5r55e any ideas.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
5R55E From the manual;

Electronic System Description

Shift scheduling, timing and feel (line pressure), as well as torque converter clutch (TCC) operation in the 5R55E is controlled electronically by the powertrain control module (PCM).

Input signals from various engine sensors give the PCM information about the engine's operating state. Other inputs are based on driver demands, such as the accelerator pedal position, which is monitored by the PCM using the throttle position (TP) sensor. Inputs are also supplied by the transmission itself. The turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor, the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor and the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor supply information to the PCM.

Using these input signals, the PCM can determine when the time and conditions are right for a shift or TCC application. The PCM controls six solenoids: four ON/OFF solenoids for upshifts, downshifts, and coast clutch application, one for pulse-width modulated control of the torque converter clutch and one for electronic line pressure control.

44R44E

Electronic System Description

Shift scheduling, timing and feel (line pressure), as well as torque converter clutch (TCC) operation in the 4R44E are controlled electronically by the powertrain control module (PCM).

Input signals from various engine sensors give the PCM information about the engine's operating state. Other inputs are based on driver demands, such as the accelerator pedal position, which is monitored by the PCM using the throttle position (TP) sensor. Inputs are also supplied by the transmission itself. The turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor and the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) sensor supply information to the PCM.

Using these input signals, the PCM can determine when the time and conditions are right for a shift or TCC application. The PCM controls six solenoids: three ON/OFF solenoids for upshifts and downshifts, one for pulse-width modulated control of the torque converter clutch, one for electronic line pressure control, and one ON/OFF solenoid for coast clutch application.

Looks like the 5R55E has 3 sensors, the 4R44E has two sensors according to the description above.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals