• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how low in the rear until a c notch is required?

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With a flip kit installed, how low can you go with out c notching the frame? Im considering doing the 4/5 drop on my 02 2w, will i need to notch if I go this low?

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
I think 5 inch would be the maximum without c-notching.. But youd have to remove bumpstop or cut them. When I was only 4 inch in the rear I had to cut the bumpstops halfway to have about 2 inch of play.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh jeez that doesnt leave a lot of travel at all. If I used a flip kit, the drop would equal the axle tube diameter+ leave springs right?

How does your truck ride with the drop?

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Yep I think you're right.

How does it rides with the drop? Honestly? Way too low lol. Scrapes everywhere, I have 2 inch clearance from radius arms xmembers and tranny xmember to the ground... But our roads in Quebec are just so destroyed too.. Just have to be careful...

But it handles like a chief in curves with that wide stance and the explorer rear swaybar. Only down is the scraping and speedbumps... Just too lazy to install my raised xmembers yet should gain me lot of clearance

With 4/5 drop you shouldn't be having much problems..

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so are the shocks that come with some of these kits specifically designed for less travel (if that makes sense)?

and i just measured and a 5 inch drop in the rear only leaves .5 inches of space between the bumpstop and axle! even with half of the bumpstop cut off htats only 1 inch of space!

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Yes they are designed for less travel. Ditch the entire bumpstop then :p

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im thinking i may go with a shackle flip and lowering shackles to keep the soa setup. plus 5 inches of drop is pretty low for a DD in Idaho haha

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
5" max while running some pancake bumpstops. I do not recommend bolt in notches for 98+ extended cab rangers as right when the frame touches the axle there is very minimal driveshaft clearance to the body and frame due to the large 1pc driveshaft. Otherwise you have to tunnel the floor and notch the frame crossmember like you have to do for air ride.

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
5" max while running some pancake bumpstops. I do not recommend bolt in notches for 98+ extended cab rangers as right when the frame touches the axle there is very minimal driveshaft clearance to the body and frame due to the large 1pc driveshaft. Otherwise you have to tunnel the floor and notch the frame crossmember like you have to do for air ride.
This is good to know, just lowered my 06 ext cab ranger with the DJM 2/3 kit, but it ended up being about 4" drop in the rear. I was planning on dropping the back another 1-1.5" once I get the control arms for the front. Ill have to check my clearance on the drive shaft.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I had to tunnel my cab for the shaft with just a flip kit!

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
from what ive gained through research i should be fine without a notch with a flip kit since i have a reg cab, but ill do a bolt in notch so i have at least a little bit of travel haha

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Beluga- will the exp sway barrister bolt in or do you have to fab up mounts for it? I'm planning a 4/5 in my 94 and would like it a little stiffer.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also correct me if I'm wrong but if I plan on a flip kit could I just bolt in an exp rear end and achieve the same effect as well as get an ls 31 spline rear with disks?

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you would have to weld on new shock mounts and i dont have acccess to a welder. a flipkit is 60 bucks and simple to install, and i dont think my 2.3 would destroy a 7.5 that easily.

you also theadjacked me and i dont appreciate that

pengintamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you also theadjacked me and i dont appreciate that
I really hope this is sarcasm, as his posts are valid questions pertaining to the thread topic. I was wondering the same thing as the explorer axle is better than the rangers 8.8, not to mention the 7.5.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but if I plan on a flip kit could I just bolt in an exp rear end and achieve the same effect as well as get an ls 31 spline rear with disks?
Go the explorer route. $60 for a flip kit or $75 for a jy axle. And with that you get discs, better axle shafts, LSD, thicker axle tubes, and if you want a better gear ratio. Seems like $15 more and a small bit of welding is worth it to me....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals