• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How long has it taken you to lower your truck?

littlered351

Reaction score
I just got my DJM 4/5 lowering kit for my truck. Was just wondering how long it's taken you to lower your truck?

GaryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi There,
I just did mine. I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Own a minimal amount of tools. And I worked around my work schedule. My truck was in my garage for 4 days. But my family was out of town so I had use of my sons car. 13 hrs total time. That's by myself. 3 hrs after work. Then 3 hrs before work and 2 hrs after. Then on my day off 5 hrs to complete. The next day I took it for alignment. You need at least 2 good jack stands and a good jack. After doing it once I am sure I could do it in one 8 hr day. I also bought the eccentrics for the upper control arms. And I also bought new steering end links. I also threw in new brake pads while I was there. Good luck! It rides great and looks so much better. I do get a little rubbing on the drivers side. But I'm running stock 225/70/15 right now. It actually looks good with the stock chrome wheels.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
i bought 2" roush springs 2 year ago when i got the truck, i still havent put them on haha

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did mine separately - rear first and then the front. The axle flip probably took around 2 hours and the front took about 4 since I was working by myself on both. The front also need more coercion to break loose the king pin bolts. So 6 - 8 hours alone is not a bad time - with help and all the right tools/experience it might not take as long.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
first time I lowered a Ranger was a '94 with twin i-beams, we did a 5/7...took us a full week working nights on it. Only because it was rusted together pretty good, and me and my friend were both pretty young and didn't have a whole lot of experiance with that stuff..final product looked nice though!

I now own this truck (its the one in my avatar)

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
6 hours for me given that I have another person to help move the rear axle around. Other than that part... I could get it done in 4 hours (also given that there's not any of that "impossible" rust going on."

Oh, and I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend a tow ball wrench for all those guys with I-beams. They're perfect for getting that suspension apart since each end is the right size (1 1/8") for the radius arm bolt (that foot long bolt that usually rusts in place) and the other end is perfect for the camber/caster adjusters (1 1/2")

sacredauto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
none...currently
Transmission
Automatic
it took me about 7 hours with a lift to do my 4/5, 45 minutes getting the truck centered perfectly becuase the frame rails are just too narrow. and it was my first time doing anything like that and i was taking my time.. if i had to do it again i could probably do in in 4 hours easy

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
It only took me and my ranger buddy josh 6 hrs front and back. The whole job shouldve taken 4 but we had to reverse the shackle flip and he had never dropped a truck ever. I couldnt have the ranger riding on bump stops in the back. I never thought that i would be that low. Needless to say im addicted im notching the frame next.

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
took me 2 days. but I also changed the headlights, blacked the tails, converted to cobra brakes, added a lip spoiler and short throw during that time frame.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So far I've been working on it about 2 months. Currently I only have the entire front suspension ripped out of the truck. Between my work schedule, school, and doing it all my self, I might only have a couple hours in it total. I literally might have time to remove a bolt then it will be a week before I can work on it again. Currently I have to separate the knuckle from the I beam because I forgot to break the nuts loose before I pulled everything apart. Then I'll send the springs off to be sand blasted and possibly powder coated, I may also have the knuckles done. Everything else will be cleaned up and painted with satin black rustoleum.

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Took me 12 years :D

I cheated and took the beams and flips to Tire-Pro and had them do it, while I got new brakes and tires too.

littlered351

Reaction score
Finally got mine lowered. Took about 11 hours by myself with hand tools. Like most I think I could do the next one in about 6-7 hours. I had to swap rear axles and front spindles since I was taking out a lift as well as lowering. I still have to take out a 3'' body lift to get it at it's final ride height.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bout 10 minutes to take the 44's off and put the 33's on....with the impact....hand tools takes a few minutes longer......:)

kenvb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how long to lower your ranger

took previous owner 1 case of beer and a telephone pole on the roof, its lowered about 2 ft now. LOL

anyone want to buy a slighty mushed 83 Ranger Diesal ? cheeap

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
took previous owner 1 case of beer and a telephone pole on the roof, its lowered about 2 ft now. LOL

anyone want to buy a slighty mushed 83 Ranger Diesal ? cheeap
I'm down. I can find a new cab for one. lol

As for me I've been building mine for bout 6 years total. So far I've got full air ride and looking at goin extreme with the suspension soon. Includes ditching the ibeams for a more suitable suspension for bags and custom rear setup. :icon_welder: Then I got a very VERY good idea for a motor swap, but I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals