• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How hot is too hot?

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just got finished installing new 4.88 gears and I was wondering just how hot is too hot for a differential to be with new gears? As it is now, if I take it for a short drive (as per the instructions) the differential gets real warm to the touch... not a burning hot, but warmer than warm and cooler than hot. I took my time installing the ring and pinion and crossed my t's and dotted my eyes. The pattern is correct and yes, I did put gear oil in it. Any thoughts??? :icon_confused:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Mine gets warm but nothing that I cant touch, was that way when i put my gears in the front of my D30 and my rear hasnt been touched and its the same way.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
If your concerned about heat, buy a new diff cover, one with a higher fill hole, and cooling fins. More oil will allow more cooling and the fins will disperse the heat. An aluminum cover will do that best.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you can touch it without burning a white mark into your skin, it's not too hot. The differential fluid can go 275* or more before it cooks into road tar. As you continue to break it in the temps won't rise so much.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Mine gets pretty warm, even with 32K miles on it now. I'd say about 2-3 seconds or so is about the max time I can hold my hand on it after 20 or more miles on a freeway doing 65.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I guess I'll just run it and if something fails, I will deal with it then. Though I must say, switching from 3.73's to 4.88's sure gives my Explorer a different feeling of acceleration.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: Well, I ran the differential as it was following the "break in" procedure as described in the guide from Yukon Gear. Drained the fluid (85w140) and filled with 80w90. All is good... the temperatures came down to a tolerable level. :yahoo:

Only one problem now... Since I have this new found power, I have found myself going a little heavy with the skinny pedal... to the extent that I believe my lunchbox locker has crapped. :sad: What's happening is... and I hope I'm saying this rite... When under heavy throttle (pavement or loose gravel) I get a steady popping and pulling to one side or the other when popping. It's feeling like it's letting loose and engaging again... violently. Is it possible that it's crapped out or is this just normal for a lunchbox running 35's and 4.88 gears?

:bawling: H E L P!!! :bawling:

4x4junkie... your "oh so wise" wisdom is required!

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
What locker? Did you notch the ring gear and use a full cross-pin or did you use a notched cross-pin? Was the locker in spec when installed?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Definitely not normal.

I'm not as familiar with the lunchbox units as say the ARB or a Detroit, though I do know if they are not shimmed to the proper clearance, you can get popping like that (or if like said you tried to use a dreaded notched crosspin in it).

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No notched cross pin...I ground the gear and it's a richmond gear locker (Lockrite). As for the spec... it was working fine before I swapped gears... and as far as the spec, if some jacka$$ on here would have returned my manual as he said he would (BLOODY LIAR), I would know if it was in spec or not.

EDIT: I'm wondering of maybe it's the springs and pins. If not, I'm most likely gonna save the cash and get a Detroit locker.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Check your tire pressure? Uneven pressure and wear will cause engagement/disengagement while driving.
Anyway, I would never run a lunch box with anything bigger than 33s, thats IMO. I love me detroit.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the plan is (when I get a free moment) I'm gonna pull the cover and take a look see at the insides. If the springs and pins are the issue, I'll deal with it and save the cash for a detroit. If the locker is crapped and broken, I'll get some factory spiders and run them for time being. If there doesn't seem to be any problems, I will put the cover back on and save the cash. I guess either way, I'm saving cash.
Oh, t0x1k, the tires are new (not new to me, brand spankin new Goodyear MT/R's) and measure out under a quarter inch of each other (diameter not radius). Tire pressures are exactly the same.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I don't know what the hell is going on, but I removed the cover and took it apart to find nothing wrong. :icon_confused: I checked the space between the drivers and it was well within spec... Inspected all parts and came up with nothing. Figuring I still needed to drive this thing, I assembled it and now it works! :icon_confused:
I have no idea what I did... but it works. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals