• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how good are dana 44 and 9"

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im looking to do a swap on my 92 ranger im wanting to put an early bronco dana 44 and 9" in it im just wondering how they would hold up to 38"+ boggers or swampers and a heavy right foot anybody know

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Not very well (especially the early Bronco variants, both of which are much weaker than their F-150 counterparts... even your stock D35 has bigger u-joints in it).

38s + heavy foot = Dana60 front and 10.25" rear.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
38s + heavy foot = Dana60 front and 10.25" rear.
Yep.

35" max on a 44 with a heavy foot. I'd like to think I'm a finesse kinda guy and I still break shit on 35's.

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
If he stays outta the rocks he'd be fine. Mud is alot easier on parts then rocks.

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
The EB diffs are weaker I know. Unless it comes with the 31 spline 9" which is stronger than the 28 spline version. Agreed the EBd44 is certainly weaker and uses small ujoints.

But as said above, if you don't play in rocks, and mud and dirt is your terrain of choice they can handle 38's with a heavy foot. I have (large ujoint 44/31spline 9") 76f100's d44/9", spooled front and rear, under my 86 BII and continually plant my right foot on the floor with the 91 Explorer 4.0L swapped in. So far over the past year I haven't broke anything in the diffs and I'm running brand new 38" TSL's. Knock on wood.

I also have local wheeling buddies that also run 38-40's on d44 fronts with good success. We don't have rocks or high-traction wheeling around here, so I think that makes the diffs handle 40's in my neck of the woods. Don't get me wrong here tho, I have seen them spit out a ujoint or 2 from time to time, but for the most part they handle it very well.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The EB diffs are weaker I know. Unless it comes with the 31 spline 9" which is stronger than the 28 spline version. Agreed the EBd44 is certainly weaker and uses small ujoints.
Just a heads up the Early Bronco never came with a 31 spline 9".

BowTech99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Turbo 2.5L and 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've actually seen stock toyota axles handle 44's with a 350 pushing them around. If he would've been in rocks them axles would've blown up, but since it was just mud, worked just fine.

OP, what type of wheeling you do?

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ya i had a toyota on stock with 35s and i was extremly abusive to that thing with no problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals