• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How easy is it to swap to a new axle for repair

Daviondude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What I have:
1992 Ford ranger stock 4 cylinder
Rear diff: 3.73 ratio, 7.5”, 2WD
It has bad pinion bearings and I either need to put in new bearings or put a new axle in. I could do either but am looking for a cheap easy solution (not that a bearing swap is terribly difficult, it just sounds like an axle swap is easier). If I need to I’ll swap out the bearings however I am planning to call around junk yards and see what they have in full axles.

Ideally I’d like to match the year but It is getting a little scarce. I know the later models are common, however I don’t know how easy it is to swap out for a newer axle. I have found plenty of things on swapping out to things like 8.8”s but not a lot on switching to a like a 1995 axle. I know they are similar but it sounds like there are some minor differences. How difficult would this be and what complications would arise from making a swap to a 1993-97 axle? Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Bookmark this page: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

That is the Tech Articles page, that link is at the top of every page here
Under TRS banner
Home........Ford Ranger Forum.......Tech Articles <<<that one

On that page is a section for AXLES, "Axles, Gears, Hubs & Lockers"
In that section is 7.5" axle info, here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Ford-7_5-axle.shtml

1983 to 1997 are the same, in 1998 they got 2" wider but can still be mounted on 1997 and earlier Rangers

8.8" is the same mounting as 7.5", also wider in 1998

Ranger axles seemed to last so a used axle is not that big of a gamble, but still an unknown, even to the auto recycler

Last edited:

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
What I have:
1992 Ford ranger stock 4 cylinder
Rear diff: 3.73 ratio, 7.5”, 2WD
It has bad pinion bearings and I either need to put in new bearings or put a new axle in. I could do either but am looking for a cheap easy solution (not that a bearing swap is terribly difficult, it just sounds like an axle swap is easier). If I need to I’ll swap out the bearings however I am planning to call around junk yards and see what they have in full axles.

Ideally I’d like to match the year but It is getting a little scarce. I know the later models are common, however I don’t know how easy it is to swap out for a newer axle. I have found plenty of things on swapping out to things like 8.8”s but not a lot on switching to a like a 1995 axle. I know they are similar but it sounds like there are some minor differences. How difficult would this be and what complications would arise from making a swap to a 1993-97 axle? Thanks!
3.73's in open 7.5 AFAIK are pretty common and for many years were the stock axle unless special ordered or with the towing package (those had a 4.10 stock instead). My old (wrecked) 1995 has one (open 7.5"). Hell if you were local and I was in a position to fully part it out I'd have an axle for you (with recently rebuilt 9" drums, somewhat recent amsoil fluid, and new parking brake cables too!). Want a parts truck :D (kidding unless you ARE local to the louisville area and want a parts truck).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
In my opinion ion, axle swap is easier than pinion bearings.

Where are you located? I'm sure there are plenty of 7.5"s around. I have one to sell. I'm near Greenville, sc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Daviondude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the information! It should not be hard to find an axle then. Thanks for the offers, however I'm in Utah. Thanks again everyone!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
1983 to 1997 are the same, in 1998 they got 2" wider but can still be mounted on 1997 and earlier Rangers
It should be 1983-1992 is the same, and then 1993 they got 2" wider (but indeed will swap across those years because the leaf spring perch dimension is the same).
I sent a note for Jim (site owner) for a correction to the chart on that page.

It should be noted the driveshaft flange size also changed in (I believe) mid-1990 so that is something else you may want to verify before you take home an axle (you can swap the flanges, though that's still tampering with the lid on that same can o' worms as getting into the pinion bearings since you'd still be taking off the pinion nut).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals