• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how does the duratech compare to the old 2.3?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
im considering a newer ranger, a '05 with a duratech, while ive had 3 of the older 2.3 sohc engines, ive never driven the newer '01 series with the dohc. ive read where its more hp, at about 1,000 more rpm. how does the newer series compare in the real world? i plan on doing a test drive soon but i know i wont be able to test towing a trailer or any hilly conditions.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the old lima 2.3 with a lower boost turbo build is really awesome.

the duratech with mid turbo is superb.

the duratech once studied and dealt with I see as far more cost effective....and at this point easier to find with lower miles. the eco boost is based within it.

well proven....go row through the gears of a speed 3.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I’d love to build a duratec. They’re way lighter and the heads breath well. Esslinger does some nice work on them, but it’s spendy.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The two biggest drawbacks I see to the Duratec over the Lima are that you actually need tools to time the engine, and the crank is not keyed.

The fact that you need tools to time it is mitigated by the facts that 1) the tool set is like $30, and 2) it's a timing chain, so you really shouldn't ever have to dick with the timing.

The non-keyed crank drives me up a wall, especially on an interference engine, but I have never seen one slip time, so... And since they were in everything, Rangers, Focuses, Fusions, even Edges, Explorers, and Mustangs by the time you take into account the 2.0, 2.3, GDI and the GTDI versions I have probably worked on a few thousand of them.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I’d love to build a duratec. They’re way lighter and the heads breath well. Esslinger does some nice work on them, but it’s spendy.
I'd love to just shove a turbo one into something. Once you get the engine control stuff worked out it should be almost plug and play. All the high pressure fuel stuff is within 6 inches of the engine, and the HP pump is mechanical, driven by the cam.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IMO, the Duratec is the most modern engine Ford chose to put into a Ranger. It's lighter, more powerful, more fuel efficient, and has much lower emissions than the older Lima 2.3L. The basic architecture is still being used in Fords rolling off the assembly line.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
That’s good to know, not a fan of the newer stuff but the older stuff is getting hard to find. Odd that there’s no key way in the crank, I figured it would be a interference engine, it’s probly really similar to my moms Mazda 3 engine, I was deep into it 3 or 4 years ago when she drove through high water and hyrolicked the motor, breaking rod #1, busting the oil pump off the bottom of the block, punched parts through the oil pan. All with less than 10K miles on the car. Was nice to work on something that new and clean. Don’t know why it wasn’t turned in to insurance. The ranger I’m looking at is a 05, has under 18K miles and they are asking $9K for it. Hope to test drive it today.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Oh dude, if you have been in a Mazda 3 you are good to go. It's not similar, it's the exact same thing.

The biggest difference between the 2.0/2.3 in the Mazdas and the 2.0/2.3 in the Fords is where the AC compressor got mounted.

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All due respect to all comments (adsm08...thanks !)
I have had long term success with both engines. Late 80's to present with the Lima. Working on a turbo swap to a 1990 mustang. Have a high milage duratec (200k) in an 05 Mazda Tribute. Mrs. Is driving a 2017 Escape, 2.5 . Just bought a 2010 ranger, 4 banger auto.
Sold my 99 & 01 Lima trucks at 300k, 220k. Timing belts ever 100k. A friend at work went to 700k on a duratec (look up 706,000 ranger). Great motors, yet I like a timing chain that holds up well, as opposed to changing belts. Own 3 of each motors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals