• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How does a lowered suspension affect towing ability/capacity?

karaoke_carlos

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 2WD that I just acquired, and I would like to use it for towing. It has all the wiring in place, which is a plus. However, the whole truck is just a little too high for my taste. I really would like to lower it (and my trailer hitch is only about 17" of the ground so I would really like to make it easier on the trailer and truck).

How low is safe to go... without affecting towing/carrying capacity too much?

Thanks for the advise!

Carlos

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
There are several variables for sure. The biggest concern will be how you lower it. I am dropped 5/6 and have had my truck loaded for moves and vbariuos parts runs. I have no issues, my bump stops are cut in half. I have drop leaves in the rear and they are probably softer then stock. If you do a flip kit, make sure you notch the frame for axle travel. The air assist bags are a good idea too. They would keep you level when towing.

James

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals