• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do you honestly feel about ford.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
How do you guys honestly feel about Ford motor company.

I'm getting to the point im about to walk away from them. I made the mistake of buying a triton f150. As you well know. Turned out to be the worst Ford truck I ever owned. I miss the old in block cam engines. I don't like overhead cam engines at all.

GM proved that they are inferior. Well the Ford ones anyway. Simple proof is the LS swap the world guys. I haven't seen anyone dig out junkyard 5.4s for their hot rods.

So tell me what you see/think/feel. I honestly value the opinion of the people on this forum.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Every company has junk products that have failed miserabley.

In the grand scheme of things, especially today, Ford makes the least junk and is overall more reliable than the competition. Chrysler's reliability has been crashing for decades and completely went in the toilet when they were bought by Fiat. GM is a cluster**** of a business and their cars and trucks have tanked badly. And the foreign market has never even tried to compete with Ford when it comes to their full size trucks and performance cars.

I would never buy a new Chrysler or GM product. I could be temped to buy a new Toyota or Honda if I wanted another little car but otherwise Ford is all there is.

Not to say I don't love Old Dodge, or GM stuff. Two of my favorite vehicles of all time were my 67 C-10 and my 89 Ramcharger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The thing to keep in mind about older things... you don't know how well they have been taken care of.

Ford is kind of starting to lose me, I am not super crazy about the ecoboost stuff for long term ownership... just more to go wrong and the industry as a whole is getting pretty meh with the can-bus crap. There is a lot of other things I don't really care for with their newer trucks too. I haven't driven anything else, they might be worse I don't know.

I am really tempted by a newer Ram 2500.

My neighbor dropped a JY Navigator 4v 5.4 in his 2001 F-150 and loves it.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
eh, out of the big three, I think Ford has them all beat. Quality control out of Chrysler is so hit and miss and its usually miss with a few really decent examples thrown in, GM has good mechanical engines but the electrical systems are garbage, and most of the other parts of GM are well, Generally Mediocre at best. Ford has made some turds for sure, but overall their quality is better. AT least this is the case for the mid range level or better cars. We bought a used 2015 Escape base model with the duratech 2 years ago with only 46k on it, we will see how it holds up to my wife driving it and my kid destroying the interior...

the 2010 Buick Lucerne that I have that I bought in 2016 with 52k on it now has 113k, and the steering rack is leaking like a sieve, and over all for the top of the line Buick, er *Flagship* model Buick, it is beyond mediocre. no had failures, but design and quality are horrible overall. the 3900 engine is gutless, and the transmisson wants to slam into gear everytime you hit the accelerator from coasting into a round about.

I won't bore you with the laundry list of issues with the red 2009 Dodge Charger that we bought brand new had... if not for the lifetime warranty I would have pushed that POS into a lake after the first year. we called that car Clifford. Clifford is a big red dog. that car was a big red dog.

If you truly want a decent mechanical and electrical car or truck, get a Toyota, and you will be happy, but you will pay quite a bit more for the Toyota equivalent of the Ford/ Chevy/ Dodge you are driving. so there is that trade off.

Now that being said, just from what I have seen here, on TRS I would avoid at all cost the 1.6 or 2.0 ecoboost engines in any of the Ford offerings...

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Oh and on the GM side, ask my son what he thinks of his 2005 Chevy Silverado with the LS engine... engine is great, but this truck has been an electrical failure on wheels since he bought it 4 years ago in HS. he is the second owner, his stepdad was the first. the mechanical on the engine is great, but the management/ computer/ wiring is for crap. he has chased that pos around for multiple problems and probably has dumped at least 3k in repairs, most of them electrical...

AJ

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I buy Ford trucks and GM cars

No complaints overall, yes there are poor models in either which is why I buy 3 to 5 year old models, lol, to have a bit of info on whats not right
The 2 new vehicles I bought(years ago) were in and out of the Dealer for recalls and repairs 3 times a year over the first 3 years
A 3 to 5 year old used vehicle is usually trouble free for a few years at least, had all the recalls and BS done already :)

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have three Ford's, they're all older. 98 Ranger 3.0 V-6, 04 Lightning with the 5.4 triton (supercharged) and 07 Mustang. I won't ever buy anything new from them, or any company for that matter. I like being able to work on my vehicles. New vehicles, fughetaboutitvern. I'll keep what I have though.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not sure I could buy a new GM and I've never been a fan of Dodge. I say that about GM because I worked there during the bailouts. I seen with my own eyes how they abused that bailout money... they also made all their suppliers cut prices and their employees take pay cuts. But at the same time gave their own employees raises and bonuses. They also had profit sharing check handed out not long after.

I know the verdict is not in just yet... but I sure think Ford designed and built one awesome vehicle in the new Bronco. They've had a hard time getting it launched but I feel like they've actually went where no other manufacturer has gone and will stand behind what they sell.

It's going to be really hard for me to not buy the last new vehicle I ever purchase with either the Bronco or the new Ranger. Rangers have been pretty darn good to me since I bought my first brand new one in 1988.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
They’re all made with the same parts, from the same kids, in the same sweatshops. The manufacturer only cares about it lasting until the warranty is up.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
They’re all made with the same parts, from the same kids, in the same sweatshops. The manufacturer only cares about it lasting until the warranty is up.
Then why does anything but a motorcraft replacement part always seem to explode? :ROFLMAO:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Motorcraft parts are made by children who havnt made mistakes and therefore lost fingers or a hand.

Once they lose a hand its off to the Dorman factory.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is no way Dorman parts are made by any form of human life. There simply does not exist a being among our species capable of such sadism and incompetence.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like the older Ford’s, not because I think they don’t have problems, but because I am familiar with how they work and common issues.

For the most part I like anything that goes fast or looks cool.

I like the newer Mopar stuff, they are really going all out on the hi performance versions.

At the end of the day I will probably continue to buy old Ford’s and rebuild them when needed, because that’s what I am familiar with.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Of the "Domestic" brands (are any of them really domestic anymore?), Ford seems to be the best but they do make garbage here and there as well. So far, with the Rangers, I've had good luck. That's one benefit of them being mostly built from parts used on other vehicles that they have on the shelf. I haven't had any of their other products but from what I've seen from others that do, they seem to be pretty decent. Especially with one guy who doesn't do anything but change the oil until something breaks.

Our family has tried Chrylsler product in the past and did not have good luck with them. For the longest time we were a GM family until it was evident the quality was taking a dump. Then we tried VW, nothing but electrical problems with them. Then we moved to Japanese. Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. All had been great in their time. Nissan took a quality hit when Renault took over. Toyota and Honda are still good but not what they used to be. Subaru, we only had the one vehicle. So, not much to work with.

If you are going to leave Ford, I would look at Toyota with the choices that are available for trucks. They might not the be the flashiest but they have a good dependability reputation over all as long as you over look the frame rust issues they had for a spell. If the 2019 Ranger holds out, I'll probably stick with the Ranger line. I haven't had a real need for a larger truck. But with that being said, I'm not liking all the electronics they are throwing in vehicles now. I may end up looking at something older that fits what I'm looking for in a replacement.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I like the newer Mopar stuff, they are really going all out on the hi performance versions.
Mopar does make some very nice looking vehicles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals