• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HOW DO YOU CONVERT A RANGER TO A MOBILE WORKSHOP?

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I do use frame-mounted hitches rather than the bumper. The ‘93 had a receiver hitch and the ‘94 has a home-built frame hitch with a receiver tube. I also have coil helpers on the rear axle housing for a little extra suspension. I plan on upgrading my front brakes soon to ‘97 dual-piston calipers.
As regards the piston upgrades, I hear people can use those of explorers, or sports track explorer. How true this is?

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You guys are amazing with your suggestions, and experiences.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
regular cab, minamal cab space, can have either 6’ or 7’ bed. seats cant recline much because they will hit the back window/cab
super cab, 6’ bed only, can recline seats, actually have room behind seats for small children, not very comfortable for a adult though. some have small half doors for access, older ones the seat tips & slides forward for access.
Crew cab, 4 full doors. not much bed. In the north american market only available 2019 & up. there was a explorer sport trac available that is ranger-ish, just basd on a explorer.
not sure what explorer parts if any would work on a ranger, my older 94 will have newer ‘97 spindles/knuckles and calipers.

You have a regular cab, I cant really tell if its a longbed (7ft bed) or a shortbed (6ft bed)
4A23AB33-AE24-4BDF-BD15-93CE77242E20.jpeg
66795CF6-79B2-4933-8A17-9E8ECA53E32F.jpeg
3E769670-89D9-4E2B-A4F6-4904ECA6736E.jpeg

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
From your post in another thread, you have a single cab. That means it is the lightest Ranger body. So that helps a little with payload.

Downside, shorter wheelbase is a little less stable when pulling a trailer. If you don't go real fast, no big deal.

If you want to max out the trailer load, I would strongly encourage you to get a trailer with brakes. Especially if you don't have a lot of experience pulling trailers. Heavy load, and hit the brakes on a curve, and that is called a 'jack-knife' and a very bad thing. If the trailer is heavier than the truck, it will start push the truck around.

An Explorer 8.8 axle is a good thing, if it gives you the gears you want. Should have rear disk brakes, which helps a little. But it weighs more too (good for traction and braking, but cuts into your load capacity). If you do the Explorer rear axle, get the Explorer springs as well. Will increase the capacity of the truck bed a little, although will ride somewhat rougher. The Ranger springs won't tolerate being loaded to full capacity for very long.

I'd probably look for a trailer with brakes, put a receiver hitch on the truck, and put the lowest rear end gears you can find in the 7.5 axle to start with (probably 4.10s). Unless an Explorer axle is just cheaper than gears for a 7.5.

And did you find out what gears are in the 7.5 rear?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals