• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do V8 conversions pass OBD II emissions inspection?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
NH uses the Gordon Darby OBD II emissions inspection system on everything 96 and newer for state inspection. It plugs into the data link and tests the function and it also reads the VIN in the PCM and compares it to the one the tech entered off the registration. The system won't fail a vehicle for a VIN mismatch but the tech and/or shop owner can find himself sitting in a room at the DMV in Concord explaining why his inspection license shouldn't be revoked. If you transplant a 2001 Explorer V8 with all the emissions equipment intact into a 96 Ranger it still wouldn't fly even though you actually reduced the emissions because of the VIN mismatch. Several foreign cars were allowed to pass with DTC's present, though. I don't think NH is in the minority testing emissions but I may be wrong. How do you get a converted truck to pass inspection in your state?
I'm absolutely not against engine swaps, having done a few myself, I'd just like to know how it works in other states.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Explain - what about the VIN mismatch should cause it to fail (or the inspection license to be revoked)?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most likely they're only done in one of the many states, like mine, that don't do that crap. No testing at all here, not even safety checks.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
A VIN mismatch usually means you were plugged into a different vehicle then you said you were.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard as long as the engine is the same year or newer and has all the emissions stuff intact and operating usually you are good to go.

Can never replace a bad ECM with a used one?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I have heard as long as the engine is the same year or newer and has all the emissions stuff intact and operating usually you are good to go.

Can never replace a bad ECM with a used one?
Yep, that's the federal standard. That's why I'm trying to figure out what the OP is concerned about.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like there are many ways to register altered vehicles in New Hampshire

Might need a $50 safety inspection

Emissions test is for the year and type of engine, OBD2 is based on this as well
Inspectors can change the VIN on the title if any modifications, like different size engine, doesn't match

"New Hampshire does not have engine modification or swap regulations. However, annual safety inspections are required. Emissions testing is also required for vehicles manufactured after 1996."

Good read here: https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_NH.pdf

You have to jump through a few hoops but nothing like Calif. hoops, which can be endless, lol.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If the VIN on the registration doesn't match the one in the PCM the state assumes you plugged into a different vehicle to generate a pass code. When the program first launched it had some glitches, for example, Escapes had to be held at about 2500 rpm during the test or it wouldn't communicate. A local independent mechanic had to go to Concord for a hearing and was asked if he had used other vehicles to get an OBD pass for an inspection. He said no, the state inspector said "you did it 16 times, do you want the VINs?" and threatened to permanently revoke his inspection license. He wa sable to convince them to let him keep his license, it would have put him out of business otherwise.
Inspectors can only change up to 3 digits if the VIN is incorrect on the registration. More than 3 digits and the state has to get involved. I did inspections from 1972 until I retired in 2017.
If you install a used PCM and reflash it the correct VIN will be set, at least it did when we did it at the dealer.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I never thought about this. Im not in NH but I've taken a few cars through obd2 inspection testing with junkyard ECUs and never been questioned. No flash or programming just slap it in and go. I see the point of checking the VIN, but you would think there would be a legitimate way to get around it if you have changed the ECU. Your average diy guy doesn't have access to the tools needed to flash the dang thing to change the vin number.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Simple. Custom title. Altered. Assembled. homebuilt. hotrod.....whatever the fawk you have to do to be free.

Vin locking is the insideous slippery slope of the liberty thieving fuktard do nothing m fers not representing voters directly.

I have about 12 hundred dollars worth of shit I can't use because of tying Vin to tune and name of tuner.

Regardless...federally you can not legally put a v8 in a ranger.... And call it a Ford ranger.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
It's not simple to get a "custom" title in NH, it has to be inspected and tested by the DMV to get a state issued VIN. Show up with a 96 or later vehicle in an attempt to get around the OBD system and you'll be disappointed. NH was forced to do OBD testing or we'd have lost federal highway funding. As I understand it, Florida refused to test OBD and forfeited the federal money but they don't spend what we do plowing, sanding, salting, and then cleaning up in the spring and they sure don't have to repair frost heaves every year.
I was originally looking for a 83-88 Ranger for my V8 swap but ended up with a 93 because I found one that was rust free. Rust free in New England is like gold and trumps other considerations.
If you swap in a junkyard PCM and don't have it reflashed there's almost no chance of having the right calibration, not to mention any updates that have been released.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals