• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do I set up wireless security?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
At my house, I have 2 computers. One connects to the internet via an ethernet cable straight to the router. The other connects to the router wirelessly. I want to enable security so my neighbors can't use my wireless, but I can't figure out how. I can click on my wireless network and enable the security, but as soon as I do that, my computer can't connect to it. If I click "connect," the computer will then connect no problem, but it automatically disables the security! How can I enable the security AND have the computer be able to connect to it?

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
There are ways to do it, none of which I can think of at the moment. What you can try though is to run the setup disc that came with your router. My router install disc took me through the steps to set up security. If you have the disc, you might be able to skip through the steps you don't need and get to that part of it. Not a great answer, but I'm tired....

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I believe that the hardwired computer is the one you have to set up the security on. You have to set your WEP or WPA or whatever before you can securely connect wirelessly. I know once that's done, on the computer that's connecting via the wireless router, if you right click on the wireless internet icon on the taskbar, go to "view available wireless networks" and choose your network, it'll connect, ask for your security key and then it'll work.

michowski

Reaction score
What you need to do is have the computer thats hard wired to the router go into the internet and in the address bar type in, 192.168.1.1. Hit enter and it should bring you into the router settings. From there just look for a security page and it should be in there to setup anyway you want. What kind of router do you have offhand?

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ah, that's right. And I believe if you haven't set a username and password they're both "admin". Or you leave username blank and just do the password.

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The admin and password for the router will differ depending on the manufacturer.

For example, Linksys are usually username: admin, password: admin

D-Link are usually username: admin, password: blank

Netgear are usually username: admin, password: password

The security can be configured from any machine that has access to the router, but if you're setting up wireless from a wireless system, you'll lose your link as soon as the new settings are applied.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Oh ok, I'll have to try this out later when I get home. It's a Netgear router. I seem to recall it has a default username and password printed on the back of the router. Thanks a lot guys!

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
don't mess around with the cd it came with just 192.168.1.1 into the router via your browser. Also us WPA2 for wireless security not WEP or WPA.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Woot, it worked. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals