• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How Do I hook up a DVC sub?

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WOOOOOHOOO i just got my kicker 10" cvr in the mail today, and now I'm wondering, how do I hook a DVC sub to an amp?

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The sub has to be wired in parallel. If wired in series it will smoke your amp.

Put a jumper wire between the positive terminals, then another between the negative terminals.
Then run the speaker wires from your amp to one set of terminals. DONE

The wires from the amp should be bridged as well.

I use the exact same sub in my truck. It works really great. Only issue I have with mine is it keeps blowing my box apart, and it's the Kicker box that came with it.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The wires from the amp should be bridged as well.
So what your saying is to bridge the amp? on a mono amp? this does not make sense to me.

I can help you with the box! try re-gluing whe wood back together with liquid nails. it worked great when I built a box with a friend.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So what your saying is to bridge the amp? on a mono amp? this does not make sense to me.

I can help you with the box! try re-gluing whe wood back together with liquid nails. it worked great when I built a box with a friend.
Well not on a mono sub amp, I am using a 2 channel amp.

I've reglued and nailed my box twice now. And at the moment it's blown apart again. It's just a pos and I've accepted that. I'm not worried I'm buildin a new box inside my new center console. Which will finally let my p.s. seat go back all the way too.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

cappin90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 460
Transmission
Automatic
just match ohm loads, if your amp is stable at 2ohms, run parallel if not, in series.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub means 2 ohm impedence from the amp?
If you hook it up in parallel. I've seen a few 2 channel amps that are happy in 'single mode'.

The amp is 500W x 1 @ 4 Ohm Bridged, however, what you'd want with a dual 4ohm in parallel is XXXW x 1 @ 2 Ohm Bridged. Basically it doesn't look like it's 2ohm mono stable. Don't know much about Phoenix Gold amps as far as sound or quality.

Pete

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub means 2 ohm impedence from the amp? I'm just making sure because this means that I will need a less powerful amp than the one i now have picked out. the amp I have picked out is this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=200333300137&Category=18795&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2

would this amp be good for this aplication? or should I go smaller?
The wattage on the sub is 400 watt rms.

EDIT: this means I now need a monoblock amp dosen't it?
yes dual 4's can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms, that amp would work well with a dual 2 ohm but not so well with a dual 4. You would ideally want a mono amp that puts out around 300-400 w rms at 2 ohms, Kicker kx/zx400.1 would work great in your application

you could use that amp and run 1 coil per channel, youd get 150w rms per coil, but you wouldnt get full power out of the amp unless you had a 2ohm load per channel or 4 ohm load with the amp bridged.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
heres a good matching amp for you,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-ZX400-1-Mono-Amp_W0QQitemZ110383639251QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item19b360aad3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes dual 4's can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms, that amp would work well with a dual 2 ohm but not so well with a dual 4. You would ideally want a mono amp that puts out around 300-400 w rms at 2 ohms, Kicker kx/zx400.1 would work great in your application

you could use that amp and run 1 coil per channel, youd get 150w rms per coil, but you wouldnt get full power out of the amp unless you had a 2ohm load per channel or 4 ohm load with the amp bridged.
The kicker is a bit much out of my budget range. I can go $110 max for the amp. So what amp, I guess, is the best for this sub?? I did alot of research on amps and I guess I was wrong for almost buying the phoenix gold.

THANKS GUY for saving me from a $110 flop! :yahoo::icon_cheers:

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a-5 freak; question for you, as I can't see if you said it or not, but did you get the dual 4 ohm, or the dual 2 ohm crv? Because everyone seems to have assumed you got the dual 4 yet no one asked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals