• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do I find the right engine wiring harness?

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0l 4x4

The previous owner messed up part of the engine wiring harness. I have been trying to find the harness I can use to replace all the messed up connectors but I cannot seem to find the exact one that matches my truck. Surely Ford didn't use a different harness for every truck.

One of the harnesses I have tried matched up with what looked like everything but when I look at the plugs that connect to the firewall there is a series of numbers that are different. The wires are also different the harness I have now has multi colored wires and the other has black with colored stripes.

There has to be a way to get the right harness so I can fix the electrical issue the photos that are attached show the numbers I am talking about.

Attachments

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Top pic looks burnt or really dirty. I would think the core wiring harness would be the same for a given year range?

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My truck = Electrical Nightmares!!

Top pic looks burnt or really dirty. I would think the core wiring harness would be the same for a given year range?
It is just really dirty I am not going to use that regardless. I am just confused why it is the numbers do not match up and the wire colors. Especially from what I can tell has all the right connections.

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
They will clean up to color. The top number is all you need to be concerned about.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Match up the year, engine and drive train type. The first two digits are the year F5 is 1995 and 1997 should be F7. D is 1970s E is 1980s and F is i990s

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, those two harnesses are the same. Or at least they should be.

The first set of numbers IDs the year and model the part belongs to. The center section IDs the part itself. The last set is a revision level. Those lower numbers should just be serial numbers, or something of the like.

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Match up the year, engine and drive train type. The first two digits are the year F5 is 1995 and 1997 should be F7. D is 1970s E is 1980s and F is i990s
Well if f5 is a 95 harness why is it on my 97 truck?
This harness came out of a 97 ford ranger XLT 4.0l but it was a manual and mine is an automatic that's why I'm not using it

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, those two harnesses are the same. Or at least they should be.

The first set of numbers IDs the year and model the part belongs to. The center section IDs the part itself. The last set is a revision level. Those lower numbers should just be serial numbers, or something of the like.
I've looked everywhere trying to figure out what numbers should match even got on ford parts website the other thing that seems to matter is if it is a California emissions truck

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if f5 is a 95 harness why is it on my 97 truck?
This harness came out of a 97 ford ranger XLT 4.0l but it was a manual and mine is an automatic that's why I'm not using it
There are loads of F0, and even a few E8-9 parts on my 93.

Cheaper to reuse dies than to change what's not broken. ;)

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Guess I'm going to keep scouring the junkyards till I can find the harness that will work with my truck.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
explorers are worse.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Bobby,

This is my best friend Shane, and he and I have been doing a lot of work on with this truck. What's your real input on the replacement of the engine/trans harness issue?

Basically, the plug goes in, but the pins aren't lining up as they should be. Also, there are color matching issues. He already has a replacement harness specific to a 97 Ranger 4.0, but is off a manual truck. For this, there is likely some pins that will have taken from his hacked up piece of shit to the nice one he has to work with the auto trans controller.

Shane, tell Bobby what is going on with the truck (the shifting, the engine codes, etc.) and we can dissect it.

Basically gents, we have a truck that was hacked, shane has put a shitload of time and money into bringing this thing back to life, (shane, post some pics) and we want it all to work like it is supposed to, without dropping 1000 bucks on a new wiring harness from Ford that could lead to the same issues.

Shane, show pictures of the different pins not lining up, along with the different color wires. This will help the FOMOCO Gurus in helping us get this shit fixed

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
One of the fried connectors goes to the passenger side upper o2 sensor and the larger black one I'm assuming transmission

Attachments

cw40342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is the large connector I'm talking about

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you guys in ky? not sure when i am headin to florida again...i am in ohio/west virg areaa workin right now.

its a trans and o2 plug, i would run a seperate system when i located one. it dont look ike a 97 though to me for some reason. i dont remember the jumper being there. but thats just it. these systems can change through the year.

i dont have a 97 setup diagram available to me on the road....and i dont have any of those style harnesses at home iirc...might have some cammer stuff from 02-04...

i need some sleep....i will check back

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals