• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How Did Your Heads Blow/Crack?

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
This seems to be a common problem with these engines. POST YOUR STORY!

A week after I bought my ranger @ 74,000 miles I got the check engine light with the code that says engine running too cool. So I got a new thermostat to put in--and viola--there wasn't even one installed! The previous owner must have overheated it (it was obvious he was towing--hitch, electronic brake gizmo under dash) and took out the thermostat to cover up the problem. Good thing for warranty :)

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
This seems to be a common problem with these engines. POST YOUR STORY!

A week after I bought my ranger @ 74,000 miles I got the check engine light with the code that says engine running too cool. So I got a new thermostat to put in--and viola--there wasn't even one installed! The previous owner must have overheated it (it was obvious he was towing--hitch, electronic brake gizmo under dash) and took out the thermostat to cover up the problem. Good thing for warranty :)
i had mine for a day and i got a code for missfire on cylinders 2 and five , well the truck had 146k on it , so i changed the plugs , wires , and coil , but could not get rid of the cylinder 5 miss , did a compression test , no bueno , so i had new heads put on , it turned out the guy had blown a head gasket and kept driving it , and the heads looked like shit when we got them off , on the side ofd the engine with the bad head , all of the exhaust valves were white

well i got new heads and she ran like a top for a while , till the CMP failed , then she got a new engine , but mine is a 2000 with 157k on her now

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't personally know anyone with a 3.0 that has blown the heads. These engines are very strong and will run forever if taken care of.

Sounds like you guys got 3.0s that were totally neglected.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
yea, the previous didnt really take care of my truck , prolly cause he had to spen all his money on his harley , i know he had one because he left all the reciepts for it in the owners manual

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Most of the 3.0 heads or head gaskets that fail are due to extreme neglect.

It's usually overheating that does it.

When properly taken care of (and serviced at the proper intervals) the 3.0 is a very stout and reliable engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals