• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How common is snow plowing?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Yes very similar. We have a 2-row corn picker that goes on the ‘49 john deere A. The side shields for it when using the picker are heavy screens framed with flat iron and held by spring clips. Weve not had it on in over 20 years, no real use / need for ear corn. At least its stored under roof, could still be used. Takes most of the day to mount or unmount it. If it was used yearly I would want a tractor just for that and not go through the hassle of the on & off of that machine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cornpicker sideshields?
Do share...

@sgtsandman nailed it. There is a lot of drama right there where the snapping rolls strip the ears off the stalk which makes chaff. That builds up on the manifold you better get the marshmallows 'cause you are going to have a big fire.

Probably similar to “orchard tractors”
View attachment 81066
Similar but bad example. All Olivers in the 40's and 50's had side shields. Unlike my '45 they were not open to the back and thus liked to make the engine run hot. So most Oliver side shields ended up getting trashed. Like my Oliver 77's. Of the four parts I have one. I need to track down another rear one, the part in your pic that says "Orchard 77" is missing on mine on the left side {mine says Oliver Row-Crop 77 though)

Yes very similar. We have a 2-row corn picker that goes on the ‘49 john deere A. The side shields for it when using the picker are heavy screens framed with flat iron and held by spring clips. Weve not had it on in over 20 years, no real use / need for ear corn. At least its stored under roof, could still be used. Takes most of the day to mount or unmount it. If it was used yearly I would want a tractor just for that and not go through the hassle of the on & off of that machine.
Kind of pathetic. I only have 7 acres in row crop and dad has a nice 6600 that will pick it all pretty quick.

Some day I want to snag a #33 picker for my A-C's. :dntknw:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's the start of some "Mad Max" schtuff or "Zombie Apocalypse" schtuff.

Mad Max War Rig / Tamiya USA

Incredibly Strong Vehicles To Help You Survive The Zombie Apocalypse -  YouTube
Never seen the movie but there in one of the Zombieland movies they are chasing a zombie with what looks like a combine converted into a baler. Not sure if that is a real machine, seems like a lot of beef for a baler and a ton of work to convert a combine into a baler. And it wouldn't need the grain table. Looks like it started out as a 6620, there is a clip of it in action on youtube but it is kinda gory to post on here.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Never seen the movie but there in one of the Zombieland movies they are chasing a zombie with what looks like a combine converted into a baler. Not sure if that is a real machine, seems like a lot of beef for a baler and a ton of work to convert a combine into a baler. And it wouldn't need the grain table. Looks like it started out as a 6620, there is a clip of it in action on youtube but it is kinda gory to post on here.

You’ve never seen Mad Max!?!? Not even the crappy one with Charlize Theron and Ed Hardy?

BAAED4DF-C248-40B6-9035-0E2A96AC1D59.gif

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Here where I live people put plows on their trucks for various reasons, usually the same reasons they own a truck....they do it to look cool I guess because I never see them actually using their plows...I have a snow blower for my lawn tractor, and a rear blade for my sub-compact tractor...I don't use either very often....the thought of getting a blade for a pickup isn't really there because most parking lots are pretty small, maybe an ATV or UTV with a plow would be a much better use for a plow blade, a pickup with a plow would be too big to easily maneuver...get a 5 foot plow for the ATV or UTV and do people's sidewalks in the winter would make sense, but other than that I see no use for a dedicated plow truck in my area. I have the snow blower because after the county plow goes by and throws all the snow into the driveway its pretty well solid packed where a blade wouldn't do any good, the blower can break all the chunks up and throw it far enough way I never have to deal with it again....I usually blow the snow across the road where the idiot in the county plow should have thrown it in the first place as there's nothing over on the other side of the road except farm fields.

Putting a plow on anything whatever you put it on takes a huge beating, plowing ain't easy on a transmission, frame, engine, etc.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A Fisher plow is $4000 or more plus installation, that's an awful lot of money to be cool. Boss plows are OK, too but they're heavy and clumsy, Meyer and Western plows aren't worth bothering with.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Dad has had 2 western plows, liked both of them, I dont think he ever had any issues with it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A Fisher plow is $4000 or more plus installation, that's an awful lot of money to be cool. Boss plows are OK, too but they're heavy and clumsy, Meyer and Western plows aren't worth bothering with.

People have spent a lot more money on even more useless things because they thought it was cool. Like the $100K truck they bought to attach the plow to.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you are plowing much snow, the plow needs to be heavy or it just rides up over the snow and doesn't do it's job. Especially if its heavy wet snow.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you are plowing much snow, the plow needs to be heavy or it just rides up over the snow and doesn't do it's job. Especially if its heavy wet snow.
Fisher plows are heavy enough to get the job done and last for a long time. Boss plows added weight and extra steel to avoid conflicts with Fisher. Two foot snow storms aren't uncommon and I've plowed 33" before, dos that count as "much snow"?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Dad has had 2 western plows, liked both of them, I dont think he ever had any issues with it.
I think Fishers are pretty limited to New England, as long as he's never used one the Western probably seems fine. I had air cooled beetles in high school and thought they were fine until I got a real car with heat, power, and a quiet, roomy interior.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Eons ago.

Never seen the zombie land series though.
the First Zombieland was filmed right up the road from me in Valdosta Ga. Not the worst Zombie Movie out there. As a PLUS (+) Bill Murray is in it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I usually have my bit angled ahead so catches less gravel. If it leaves some that is fine with me.

No idea what brand my blade is. Works pretty decent for dirtwork though.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals