• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How common is it for the RABS sensor to go?

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
My '95 2wd has an ABS light on, and the rears lock up super easy. its really annoying. My rear brakes are fine, tires are kinda worn but my '96 ranger pretty much had slicks at one point and it wasn't nowhere near this bad.

I know the 98 up trucks have issues with the VSS is the axle, Idk if the RABS sensor in the pre '98 trucks is problematic or not. I have an oscilloscope to check the signal coming out of it, unfortunately it looks really old and Idk how to use the damn thing. So what do you all think? I'm leaning towards the ABS valve it self but anyone else have these issues? Is there anyway to get codes from the ABS system on the 3rd gen trucks?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's common enough that I know a lot of guys who just throw sensors in at the drop of a code.

Do you have an ABS light on? If the light is on, a code is stored and can be retrieved with the right scanner. If you are getting a lock up without a light I'd look for a hydraulic issue.

If the light comes on when it locks up, that is normal, but unwanted activation. Check your sensors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals