• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can '95 FORD 4.0 OHV V6 EFI be Converted to MicroSquirt ?

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
I did MagaSquirt on a stock 2.9L.
Why? Because I wanted to turbocharge it in the end.
I run it as stock for quite a few years and now changing to 4.0L and Ecumaster Black.
Sold my solid 2.9L w/ MegaSquirt to a friend for a P'N'P swap.

What you can benefit on stock engine?
Better MPG - for sure.
A bit more HP - you can tune for higher octane fuel or bit more rich fuel delivery when needed.

And believe me there are other options in the market that are IMHO much more user friendly.
10 years ago MS2 was a thing. MS2 still can do a LOT if you can solder and understand bits and bites of electronics you can set it up to run almost any engine, because the HARDWARE parts of MegaSquirt are configurable with a soldering iron, which is not the case with anything else :D

If you want to go inexpensive you can try speeduino, more hardware limited than megasquirt but heard it can be configured with same software (which I do like a lot - Tuner Studio).

PM me if in doubt - super busy recently and not being here frequently.

TigerDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sunbeam Alpine
Transmission
Manual
You will also need a spark system

Spark systems need two things
RPM spark advance and Load spark advance(vacuum advance on older engines)

RPM advance is simple, used to be done with weights and springs in the distributor but can be done with electronics

Load advance is another story, when you "step on the gas" the air/fuel mix changes suddenly, so the spark advance also needs to change just as suddenly or engine stumbles or misfires
In the old days Vacuum Advance was used, and still works
Electronic load advance is faster and better but you need "sensors" and a computer to calculate "load" in real time

The 4.0 OHV never used a distributor but...............
2.9l Distributor will work in the 4.0l OHV, but it uses TFI spark system, so needs a computer for Load Advance

The 4.0l OHV did use an EDIS-6 stand alone spark system(1990-1994) but also needs Load Advance from a computer

The EDIS-6 was popular with Hotrodders so maybe there is a solution for load spark advance for that, never looked into that myself
But most of these were switching TO Fuel Injection and wanted to get rid of distributor, lol

Ron, I have 3 of the 4.0 OHV Engines, neither have a distributor. But as you stated above: " The 4.0l OHV never used a distributor but............... " they have a device that drives off the cam for the oil pump.

I am having a 4 bbl Intake fab'd for one of the 4.0's that is in the Sunbeam Alpine. It is nearly completed. The design will not allow for a distributor.

I've been told by several folks that i can utilize the factory components for the ignition system. The marker/pointer on the front of the 4.0 and the Coil pack (sic (6) plug and the factory computer (?). This is where I am in need of advice...Thanks, DanR

Last edited:

TigerDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sunbeam Alpine
Transmission
Manual
In what I have read so far researching Megasquirt etc.

"Do I need micro/megasquirt at this stage in my car's life?"

Yes IF....
... you have a larger than stock turbocharger
... you have a significantly larger than stock camshaft (And even then it comes down to other factors as well)
... you've got larger than stock exhaust with the above
... you've hit the limits of LH

If you're bombing around with stock stuff and just the boost turned up, you don't need microsquirt or megasquirt. Sure, you could benefit from it, but you dont really need it. When you've reached the limits of the stock turbo usually you've reached the limits of LH (any minute now the bandaid advocates will come screaming..
Main reason I am looking for something to "fuel" and time my 4.0 OHV V6 is in the Sunbeam Alpine the factory FI sits rather proudly out of the hood by several inches. Looks very odd and not at all appealing to the eye.

I have searched for a means of modifying the factory system to "lower" the appearance and keep the basic function...No luck.

I am having a 4bbl intake fab'd (soon to be installed). Its' design does not allow for a distributor (I am utilizing the factory cam driver for the oil pump), so my only option is to figure a way to replace the factory ign and fuel delivery.

I wish to utilize a MicroSquirt (Not A MegaSquirt). Or perhaps go with the Holley Sniper?
I am running a nice street cam. Port and polished heads and special designed headers for the Sunbeam Alpine application.

DanR

Last edited:

TigerDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sunbeam Alpine
Transmission
Manual
@PetroleumJunkie412 dumb question, but what would you gain from a Squirt, if your running a fully stock engine. Say a 4.0 OHV. Would it be More HP? Or Better Gas Mileage? And for me personally, would It benefit my 93 Ranger 4.0
Angry Possum, My 4.0 OHV V6 is no longer stock. It now has a nice street cam, port&polished heads, over bore, balanced, and special designed Headers for my Sunbeam Alpine. DanR

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only the 1990-1994 4.0l came with a separate spark system, 1995-2000 use a different computer with spark system inside the computer

Picture of the EDIS-6 spark system:
The tone wheel(crank pulley) and crank sensor, plus the Coil pack are found on all 1990-2000 Ranger 4.0ls

The EDIS-6 module was only used on 1990-1994 4.0l Rangers
It hooks up to crank sensor and coil pack

And it does RPM spark advance
Problem is Load Advance

I think it would just be easier to use the Ford computer and spark system and make a shorter intake
If you are making custom parts then that would be what I would make
The throttle body with TPS and IAC Valve is a separate part that can be bolted onto whatever you make
The IAT(air temp) sensor just needs a threaded fitting
And then another threaded fitting for a Vacuum port/manifold

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
I think nowdays any Standalone ECU (Like MegaSquirt) can now do MAP/TPS or mix for the load. The problem is with AFM if you want to use it - I would not. MegaSquirt has acceleration enrichment as well, which allows you to program how much more fuel to inject when pressing the throttle quickly (MAP would change slower).
Spark - I’ve been using EDIS in many of my cars (swapped engines). EDIS4, EDIS6 mainly. This is super reliable and easy to install. By default the EDIS controller fires 10 deg BTDC (if you allign trigger wheel and sensor correctly). This is Aka Safe Home mode (limp mode). There is one wire that allows the ignition advance to be controlled by external ECU (load), that’s it.
EDIS has this nice advantage, that when anything else brakes it still fires 10 BTDC.
Im using it even in my old Porsche 924 Turbo with the K-JET mechanical injection instead of a Spark distributor.
My 2.9L I converted from TFI (distributor with hall sensor) to EDIS with the 4.0 dummy plug for the oil pump shaft gear.
EDIS works as Wasted Spark.
HTH

TigerDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sunbeam Alpine
Transmission
Manual
You will also need a spark system

Spark systems need two things
RPM spark advance and Load spark advance(vacuum advance on older engines)

RPM advance is simple, used to be done with weights and springs in the distributor but can be done with electronics

Load advance is another story, when you "step on the gas" the air/fuel mix changes suddenly, so the spark advance also needs to change just as suddenly or engine stumbles or misfires
In the old days Vacuum Advance was used, and still works
Electronic load advance is faster and better but you need "sensors" and a computer to calculate "load" in real time

The 4.0l OHV never used a distributor but...............
2.9l Distributor will work in the 4.0l OHV, but it uses TFI spark system, so needs a computer for Load Advance

The 4.0l OHV did use an EDIS-6 stand alone spark system(1990-1994) but also needs Load Advance from a computer

The EDIS-6 was popular with Hotrodders so maybe there is a solution for load spark advance for that, never looked into that myself
But most of these were switching TO Fuel Injection and wanted to get rid of distributor, lol
RonD, My setup for the 4.0 utilizing a 4bbl intake I had designed will not allow for a distributor (clearance is too tight to even think of it ). I will be utilizing the factory oil drive unit.

REFER to my POST # 10 above for the wiring harness I removed from my wrecked FORD Explorer. In the process of pulling the necessary wires for the swap over to the Carb. Suggestions/comments/ help is appreciated....Thanks, DanR

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No distributor is an issue when using a carb

Ford's EDIS-6 can run a V6 spark system on its own but only for RPM spark advance
1990 thru 1994 4.0l Rngers used these, and Explorers

Problem is there is no easy way to get "Vacuum" advance/Load advance
So engine would stumble any time you accelerated
Once you were "at speed" it would run fine

EDIS-6 was hooked to an ECU(PCM)
ECU provides the Load Advance to the EDIS-6 since it has a Throttle sensor and MAP/MAF sensor, but I don't know of anyway of hooking EDIS-6 to throttle sensor without a computer of some sort

TigerDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sunbeam Alpine
Transmission
Manual
Bill, I attempted to post pictures of my custom 4bbl intake..... don't know what happened. Will try again.......

These are showing some of them... The 4.0 project in "In Work".....

4.0 V6 4bbl intake   20220426_143918.jpg
0766 Red GT 4.0 V6 A4LD Downshifter cable      2022-12-17 16.47.56.jpg

TigerDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sunbeam Alpine
Transmission
Manual
I am now studying the MEGAJOLT/E MK2 system for my 4.0 OV V6 Project in my Red GT Sunbeam Alpine.

A custom 4bbl Intake without a distributor.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals