• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Housing Crack Dana 35TTB

whitetrash96

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I broke a few teeth off my ring gear and one of the loose teeth got wedged between the ring gear and the housing. Now that I've got it torn out I noticed it created a 1" crack on my housing. Is this something that can be repaired by JB weld or some other method? This second pic is of my spare housing but it has some weird cracking which looks like its dried out or something?? Not sure if its a better candidate or just get a 'new' one from somewhere else?

Attachments

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Your 2nd pic shows just normal casting "cracks". I think they come from cracks in the molds used to form the housing (a light going over them with sandpaper would remove them).

I would be concerned the crack in your 1st pic has compromised the strength of the housing... It might last forever (I know people have continued to use housings damaged by lift kit brackets), or it might blow the housing apart first time you put a load on it. Really hard to say for sure.
If it were me, I'd just set up a new set of gears in the other housing just to be safe.

What were you doing when you broke it?

whitetrash96

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your 2nd pic shows just normal casting "cracks". I think they come from cracks in the molds used to form the housing (a light going over them with sandpaper would remove them).

I would be concerned the crack in your 1st pic has compromised the strength of the housing... It might last forever (I know people have continued to use housings damaged by lift kit brackets), or it might blow the housing apart first time you put a load on it. Really hard to say for sure.
If it were me, I'd just set up a new set of gears in the other housing just to be safe.

What were you doing when you broke it?
I was snow wheeling on crusty snow and broke through the surface, then dug to China, winching plus lots of throttle and got traction. It also appears my pinion may have come loose or was not set up properly so that is probably the root cause of the ring gear failure.

I got the housing tig welded inside/out so I'm fairly confident it should be good.

Attachments

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Beautiful welds. Sure wish mine looked that good.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah even the smallest setup error can lead to broken gear teeth (same for a pinion that comes loose).

Agreed, the welds look good. Hopefully they did the full notch-it-out-&-fill-it-in-with-weld. Should be good to go. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals