• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hot Water Bypass

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Huh.... after installing a *180 T-stat and doing the HWBP my engine runs better, pings less, makes more power, gets better gas mileage, and because it runs cooler will last longer - but hey, I guess Ford knows best, so maybe this weekend I'll undo the HWBP and reinstall the stock T-stat and go back to the pinging and sluggishness and what-not.
So you have a problem with your engine.. Most likely you have carboned up piston tops..

Your repair has been to put MORE fuel into the chamber to lessen the "ping"..
You may think of it as running a 180* and a hot water bypass.. But the reaction to these methods is more fuel into the chamber.

Nope! You cannot get better economy by running richer! You are dreaming.

Before making such a modification one should research just what the reaction to that mod will be.

Running COLDER will add to the amount of carbon on your pistons.. Making the "ping" louder and more frequent. All modern motor oils are formulated to lubricate 210* engines. All motor parts are engineered and built to run at
210*.

In effect you have actually caused more of the original problem, and gave yourself worse milage.

Stupid ford engineers don't know anything! How could they design such a poor quality engine.

Big Jim:icon_confused:

01b3000ds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Late to the Party

I don't mean to stir the pot here, but what I think we have to consider (besides lowering engine operating temperatures) is at what temperature the ECU goes into closed loop (based on ECT) for fuel economy.

I know my truck feels peppier while it's in open loop, with the ECU dumping fuel in to warm up the block...but my bank account can't stand that too well with gas prices as they are and rising again if it never closes and follows Fuel Map and o2 sensor.

Cooler, denser air charge pre-combustion...will it show lean conditions at upstream o2, causing fuel trim (delivery) adjustment? Can I assume http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/PlenumSpacers.shtml might contribute to the convo?

And I'll bet this mod goes hand-in-glove with the EGR defeat...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I agree with you big jim in most respects, but can you really say that ford knew what they were doing all the time? Non of their motors last as long as other companies unless you work on the thing every weekend but then you spend more time under it than in it, just off the top of my head, the syncro is poorly built and could last for 150,000 miles or might go at 40,000 grenading your motor, head gaskets go for no good reason sometimes and usually crack the head, to do an oil pan gasket you have to pull the whole freakin motor(which seems to be fords way of doing things anyway), their auto tranny's suck, their 4wd systems suck, they ping like crazy, they carbon up like crazy,these are just a few design flaws that keep them low on the reliability scale. Like I said I agree with you in most reguards but ford has given many reason to question their engineering in most of their vehicles.
I have had many rangers 3 of which had the 3.0 the first o e had275487 miles when the odometer quit the truck lasted 2 more years I currently got the 99 sport side been huge pain. I work on it daily 130000 one thing after another host boss tives are broken I tapped the n an put brass fittings in the holes

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not only did I eliminate the hoses to the intake, and put on a 180 stat, i also have a holey hood. Hood scoop with 22 or so 1.5 inch holes under it directed at the intake, throttle body and tube from the MAF to the TB. Also two Mustang heat vents on the sides to get rid of heat. I've been able, so far, to stop using 93 octane fuel and am currently running 89 with zero pinging and knocking.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals