• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hosers OVER-torqued my Oil Drain Plug!--> not really, SOLVED!

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Granted it's unusual for a '99 vehicle to have only 83k miles, and the past 36 months has been it's lowest-use, longest-oil-change period yet, but... I don't see any obvious signs of rust/corrosion... will hit it with PB Blaster anyway... can't hurt.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fun fact, I had a tractor I had to pull the pan, drain the oil and heat the pan/plug with a torch.

But it had been sitting for 30 years and had condensation in the bottom of the pan. Plug was also a regular ol' square headed pipe plug.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Back in the 80's, before I had a house and place to do my own oil changes, Jiffy Lube cross-threaded my drain plug once. They also topped off the windshield fluid with plain water. That was pretty useless driving home to PA in a snow storm.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Back in the 80's, before I had a house and place to do my own oil changes, Jiffy Lube cross-threaded my drain plug once. They also topped off the windshield fluid with plain water. That was pretty useless driving home to PA in a snow storm.
My trust in such services decreases exponentially with my age.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Yeah someone mentioned cross threaded before. May be the case. See if warm engine helps. Dorman sells the orings. I change mine every 3-4 oil changes.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You would think the oil-change shops would have figured out overtightening drain plugs causes them trouble and loss of reputation.

I change the engine oil myself, partly because I run Amsoil oil and filters. Snug on the drain plug with a socket wrench is plenty, and these idiot techs need to learn that. Hand-tight on the filter enough to compress the gasket is plenty too. (The Amsoil filter is textured and allows a good grip.)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've had hernias before, use a longer bar or put a pipe on it, don't hurt yourself. If it was cross threaded it would probably be leaking because the gasket wouldn't be clamped evenly.
You guys realize that techs develop strong hands and upper body strength just by doing their job, right? "Hand tight" isn't really a spec. I tighten my drain plugs with a 3/8" ratchet and have to give it a hard tug to break it loose every time. I have never stripped a drain plug or pulled the threads out of a pan and I definitely tighten to more than 20 lb/ft. If you aren't happy that the plug is tight, imagine if it was left loose and fell out.
There are no techs working at Jiffy Lube and the like, those guys are untrained chimps. We had a Jiffy Lube a mile from our shop and made a lot of money fixing vehicles they had "serviced".

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
You would think the oil-change shops would have figured out overtightening drain plugs causes them trouble and loss of reputation.

I change the engine oil myself, partly because I run Amsoil oil and filters. Snug on the drain plug with a socket wrench is plenty, and these idiot techs need to learn that. Hand-tight on the filter enough to compress the gasket is plenty too. (The Amsoil filter is textured and allows a good grip.)
They did. Jiffy lube doesn't touch drain bolts anymore. They have have this device that sucks the oil out, so all they have to do is stick a hose down the dipstick tube. Takes forever.

My tire shop guy is across from the jiffy lube is why I know this. I would never go to one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Drain plugs seem to tighten up on their own... I just snug them up with a 3/8 ratchet and I'm sure I never exceed 20 ft/lbs but 3-5k later they might as well be welded in place. My wife's Prius is really bad about that, and it's a steel plug in a steel pan too. I could understand steel on aluminum but I've never had a problem with steel on steel before.

There are no techs working at Jiffy Lube and the like, those guys are untrained chimps.
Totally accurate... same goes for most tire guys and parts store guys. The O'Reilly I usually go to is staffed by a guy on oxygen who cannot read labels and a cross eyed dude who couldn't figure out why codes weren't present after he erased them on another customer's car... I watched that unfold the otherday. It's bad.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why you should change your own motor oil;
yeh, yeh, it's a lowly dirty greasy job & I too am old+fat with bad knees+back, but still get it done;
take the opportunity to inspect+maintain entire bottom side of your vehicle, which you should be doing anyway;
do it yourself if you possibly can; same good logic\principals generally apply to many other things in life....

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Going to Jiffy lube is pretty much like eating really crappy food from a busy drive through when the amount of time and effort it took you could have easily enjoyed a healthy meal.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I started out on bicycles and then a little motorbike. A friend had a little Honda and mine was a Suzuki and when one was broke down we'd all ride the same bike. You'd be surprised how many of those bike parts could be made to work on the other brand. We eventually moved on to bigger bikes and cars and trucks and bigger groups but one thing we all took along was the experiences and things we'd learned about mechanics.

It can be counted on one hand the times I have taken my vehicle to be fixed by a shop, and I have regretted it Every Time. Possibly the last time was simply due to me being a bit lazy. Was a decent shop and a good mechanic, but it still bit a bit much at the checkout. Seems you really just can't win at that game ;)

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
OK, even though it's been years since I've pulled my own drain plug, I "remembered" it had a 15mm Hex head... can anyone VERIFY?

BUT... when I climbed under there yesterday, I needed a 16mm socket!... SO... I'm thinking the hoser-chimps accidentally grabbed someone ELSE's drain plug, with a slightly different thread, and really went to town with da impact tools! :eek:

What say ye, about my half-baked theory??

PS: ass-u-ming threads kinda-sorta OK, is this the correct replacement plug?... (M14-1.50 thread??)

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hard to say.

might be totally fine. you just need some more leverage.

might be a train wreck. if you are not prepared to deal with the train wreck....dont open pandoras box...

i dont know you so i can not even speculate what your capacitites are for pulling on a wrench.

i dont have any problems breaking 3/4 in wrenches and i am getting older and the weakest i have ever been since i crested 6 feet in height.

if i suspected a crossed situation...i would put my torque wrench on at 60 foot pounds....and i would be ready to deal with the results.... if it did not pop loose ... i would be going back to the shop and having them read this little pow wow.

i suspect it will turn out under 50 though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals