• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Horsepower

Trailborneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm a young man. I was wondering if there are any cheap tricks to add some horse power. Any tricks?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get rid of the belt driven fan and put in an electric fan, frees up a few HPs

"Tech Articles" is a good place to get ideas and "how-tos"
Top of any page in the banner, 3rd from the left, click it :)

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Yea!!! Put in a V8!!! No bolt on HP parts....unless you spend the money.....just turbo it.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i got rid of my stock exhaust the truck felt faster. i assume i just moved the powerband into a different are of rpms that i actualley use. also the noise might make it feel/sound faster.

its a truck its not going to be fast, get a car if you wanna go fast. its designed to be fast. other than a turbo/5.0 your stuck, even then so it wouldnt be as fast as a 5.0 mustang or a turbo car of any sort.

plus, these trucks makes torque... down low.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Yup. What those members said. No matter what you do (within reason), it'll still be a truck. They're good at being what they are and doing what they're made to do, and like anything else they'll serve well for a long time if you keep them maintained and treat them decent.

I do understand that acceleration and speed are fun, especially in the "testosterone fueled years". If that's what you're after, I hate to say it, but a Ranger might not be the best choice unless you've got money to burn. What's the old saying? Speed kills...Drive a Ranger and live forever! :)

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Nah, dont listen to these guys. You could stroke a 351 and build some major HP, narrowed 9" out back and some tubs, your Ranger would haul a$$, BUT, its gonna cost you and arm and a leg (and it will still be a brick on wheels). I have about 6k in my 347 and Im only making around 425hp. I did all my own fabrication to put it together (original 302/C-6 combo), so it wasnt that bad for me (mainly engine cost).

If you want to go fast, buy what goes fast. If your just looking for some pick-me-up for your Ranger, looking in the engine section for tips/tricks for your engine/year

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford was pretty stupid on their gearing in the 90's too, a regear might help more than anything. Especially if the tires are not the stock size.

My parent's had a '94 Explorer with 3.27 gears. The power was there (or so people say about the 4.0) but it was a gutless turd to drive. People say they are trucks and all that... trucks shouldn't have to downshift twice to drag its empty self up a mild hill to maintain 60mph. It wouldn't show my dying 2.8 Ranger with 3.73s much in a race either.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford was pretty stupid on their gearing in the 90's too, a regear might help more than anything. Especially if the tires are not the stock size.

My parent's had a '94 Explorer with 3.27 gears. The power was there (or so people say about the 4.0) but it was a gutless turd to drive. People say they are trucks and all that... trucks shouldn't have to downshift twice to drag its empty self up a mild hill to maintain 60mph. It wouldn't show my dying 2.8 Ranger with 3.73s much in a race either.
yeah i would have to agree, toyota and nissan both had 4.10 4.3x 4.56 and i think even 4.88 gears available in automatics, they atleast put a 4.10 as the lowest gear set. meanwhile weget a 2.3 with 3.73, and the similar sized toyota has 4.56+, in my mind every truck should come off the line with 4.10

SOAD4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
well... this probably won't explode.
If your driving a 4.0, I found this page a while back that had a couple mods.

Http://ford40.com/airbox.shtml

I haven't done this because I'm not really dying for more horses but I'd be curious to see if it really works

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I haven't done this because I'm not really dying for more horses but I'd be curious to see if it really works
i assume this would work as its just like adding a leaf blower to the intake, which i have seen make improvements, also the air in the wheel well ought to be cooler to.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Really, man, like the guys above said, there's not much in the way of HP. If you have the 4 cylinder or 3.0L V6, you could swap in the 4.0L. It's a total drag and drop procedure, but takes some know-ho to plumb up the lines and wiring.

If you have a 4.0L already, then the best bet is to throw on headers and lifters for more duration. Some of us have tried it, like Destroyer000, myself, and a couple others. It's definitely worth it and easy, but it's not exactly the best cost-wise.

On that note, I have some brand new Pacesetter (I believe) headers for a 93-97 4.0L. I never mounted them on my second 4.0L Ranger.

But, the best bet for power is a Mustang 5.0L swap. I'm sure this is more than you bargained for.

No other easy power adders are available. Don't buy in the the K&N craze. It makes it sound throatier and meaner, and betters your throttle response, but gives you no additional power.

If you want better acceleration at the cost of top end speed (do you really need to go 105 mph?), then switch out your rear axle gearings to a numerically higher number. ONLY good things will happen if you do this. Better mpg, better torque & acceleration, and more fun driving. This MIGHT change your cruising speed of 65-70 mph & MPG depending on which gear ratio you choose though. Don't go too high.

Meh.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic

This is similar to how I did the snorkel on my Explorer...

Uses the factory air filter in stock location. I dont know about anymore power out of it, but I dont have to worry about it taking a drink.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals