• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hopefully B&S 550ex engine fix

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
It seems the new B&S 550 series engines come with a sensitive carburetor. Every since I bought mine new (Husqvarna 5521p), the engine would start running poorly after 3-5 mows. Clean the carb out and it runs great again, but the problem would just come back. I've drilled the main fuel jet and that worked pretty good. Wasn't perfect but it worked. But this wasn't a true fix to the problem as other customers were returning mowers with the same symptoms. So I thought maybe it was defective carb and got a brand new carb off a 2nd year engine that was totaled. It worked great through the summer, but then the problems started to come back. So today I decided to do a carb cleaning to restore engine poor. Upon the clean out, I noticed a fine layer of grit at the bottom of the fuel bowl. So I drained the fuel tank and took a peek inside of it. The fuel tank had a lot more grit layer at the bottom. Somehow, dirt dust was making its way into the fuel tank and fouling the carb. The gas tank has a screen fit, but I guess its not a low enough micron filter to stop the finer grit. So I installed a 45 micron fuel filter to hopefully correct the problem.

Never had to install a fuel filter on a push mower engine before. But if other members might be having the same problem as I was. This might help you. I've only mowed my yard once with the filter and it doesn't seem to have any issues with fuel delivery so far with the filter & gas line loop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals