• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hood gas struts - recommendation

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I want to add hood gas struts to my 2002 Ranger. Any recommendations for sources to buy?

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There should be a write up here somewhere about using the hinges and struts from an Explorer

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I know that there are universal kits available to add struts to hoods and stuff.. probably a little more measuring & work than using the explorer stuff.. but may end up being cheaper.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
These are the ones I found:

I haven't pulled the trigger on either of them myself but it is a definite want at some point. The 2019 showed me what I was missing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dunno about the newer Rangers but the older ones have hinges welded to the firewall... so the swap is kinda involved.

I have a set off an explorer in the barn but I havent been that hard up enough for entertainment to open that can of worms yet.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Dunno about the newer Rangers but the older ones have hinges welded to the firewall... so the swap is kinda involved.

I have a set off an explorer in the barn but I havent been that hard up enough for entertainment to open that can of worms yet.
The strut ones bolt to the fender and the hood and don't involve messing with the hinges. I imagine the old coil spring design that can be found in older vehicles would probably have much more longevity but like you mentioned, way more involved to install.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The strut ones bolt to the fender and the hood and don't involve messing with the hinges. I imagine the old coil spring design that can be found in older vehicles would probably have much more longevity but like you mentioned, way more involved to install.
Factory 95+ Explorers have the strut on the hinge and bolt to the firewall. Very clean looking.

Never really thought about it before but I don't know if/when the Ranger went to bolt on hinges. If they did it would be a fairly easy swap.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think it is like the Explorer axle install - you need 2 of the one of the Explorer hinges (either left or right). Let me look in parts bucket this evening.

It is very bolt in swap:
Pull hinges off '95-00 Explorer- 2 bolts on hood, 2 on firewall​
Remove Ranger hinge (for sure works '98 to '11) - same bolts on firewall/hood​
Install Explorer hinge where Ranger hinge was​

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Factory 95+ Explorers have the strut on the hinge and bolt to the firewall. Very clean looking.

Never really thought about it before but I don't know if/when the Ranger went to bolt on hinges. If they did it would be a fairly easy swap.
I'm guilty of it myself. I know the hinges bolt to the hood on both the 1998 and the 2011 but I never paid much attention to how they fasten to the firewall. Generally the only time I look at them is when I'm spraying white lithium grease on the hing pin and never really looked at how it's mounted.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The explorer struts are doable, but I don't think it's exactly a bolt in swap. Like sgtsandman and 85_Ranger4x4 both said, I haven't paid close enough attemtion to my hinges to see how they are attached tot he firewall. That said my brain is screaming that it isn't a simple bolt on. Maybe a simple bolt off from the Explorer, but not that easy attaching to the Ranger. Ofcourse the idea when I had looked into it previously was to do it on a first gen Ranger.

I was going to recommend Reline like sgtsandman did. If I do struts on a first gen that's the route I've taking. Probably on the 99 as well, but this thread has me wanting to take a closer look at its firewall. I wonder if they would be strong enough to support the heavier fiberglass Edge hood.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The explorer struts are doable, but I don't think it's exactly a bolt in swap. Like sgtsandman and 85_Ranger4x4 both said, I haven't paid close enough attemtion to my hinges to see how they are attached tot he firewall. That said my brain is screaming that it isn't a simple bolt on. Maybe a simple bolt off from the Explorer, but not that easy attaching to the Ranger. Ofcourse the idea when I had looked into it previously was to do it on a first gen Ranger.

I was going to recommend Reline like sgtsandman did. If I do struts on a first gen that's the route I've taking. Probably on the 99 as well, but this thread has me wanting to take a closer look at its firewall. I wonder if they would be strong enough to support the heavier fiberglass Edge hood.
Hinge replacement from the 83 body manual:

Screenshot_20230116-213310_Flickr.jpg

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I got the 96 Explorer it had a broken strut that I replaced and made the hood sorta float right up there.
It did not pass me by that the 93 Ranger hood was much more difficult to lift and prop up, not to mention the post always being in the way

I realized it would be an improvement too but never really got much past that thought
I will however be giving it more thought in the future

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The OP has a 2002 so the he has bolted in hinges. I currently have 2 rangers with this hinge swap. It 'bolts' on, but the explorer hinges have a wider bolt pattern. So you have drill new holes, I just crimped nut-serts into the firewall and bolted the hinges right on.

In my 2000 I had to user 2 DRIVER side Explorer Hinges, and on my 2006 (which has the newer hood/grille style I had to use one each of LEFT AND RIGHT from the Explorer to line up with the hood. The firewall locations seemed to be identical so I guess the 04+ hood has different bolt spacing than the prior years). The hood also opens higher than it did with the prop rod now.

Hinges at my junkyard are $5ea and new Monroe gas struts are $7ea (as of Amazon's current price right now), I doubt any aftermarket strut add-on kit is cheaper than a $25 solution that is OEM fit and function..

Here is the 2000

Last edited:

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The OP has a 2002 so the he has bolted in hinges. I currently have 2 rangers with this hinge swap. It 'bolts' on, but the explorer hinges have a wider bolt pattern. So you have drill new holes, I just crimped nut-serts into the firewall and bolted the hinges right on.

In my 2000 I had to user 2 DRIVER side Explorer Hinges, and on my 2006 (which has the newer hood/grille style I had to use one each of LEFT AND RIGHT from the Explorer to line up with the hood. The firewall locations seemed to be identical so I guess the 04+ hood has different bolt spacing than the prior years). The hood also opens higher than it did with the prop rod now.

Hinges at my junkyard are $5ea and new Monroe gas struts are $7ea (as of Amazon's current price right now), I doubt any aftermarket strut add-on kit is cheaper than a $25 solution that is OEM fit and function..

Here is the 2000

where did you get that bumper

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals