• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Homemade Gap Guards??

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
To all with the 3" body lift on newer rangers, and perhaps those on older ones as well. I know someone here has made homemade gap guards, and I'm curious as to what material you used and the best way to attach it up in the fenders. My dad seems to think that rubber would rot and maybe a flexible yet durable plastic of some kind would work. Any ideas? Pictures are always a plus too!

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I used garden pond liner. It's pretty durable (it holds water after all) and is lightweight and easy to work with.

It wasn't too expensive at Lowes when I bought it either.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've seen people use swather canvas before. If you've got an old roll laying around, just cut some off.

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen people use swather canvas before. If you've got an old roll laying around, just cut some off.
That sounds great! I just might head to the crafts store and look for some of that. Also will check out pond liner idea, thanks guys, any more ideas?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Semi truck mudflaps-you can usually find them on the ground around truck stops (regularly get torn off whn the drivers are backing) or you can buy them at heavy truck shops-they're cheap and durable.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I had some thin neoprene rubber laying around work that I made mine with. I've also used a cut down explorer bumper filler for my BII bumper filler with a 3" body lift. I even used a bug deflector the first time I did it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used an old tractor inner tube to seal up the front inner fenders to keep the tires from throwing water and mud at the engine. I didn't touch the back, I figured whatever I would stick back there would look like nothing more than an attempt to cover up the gap.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds great! I just might head to the crafts store and look for some of that. Also will check out pond liner idea, thanks guys, any more ideas?
LOL, you probably won't find swather canvas at a craft store. I'm talking about canvas from the pickup belts on this.

I guess you need to be in an area where agriculture is common in order to have something like that laying around...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LOL, you probably won't find swather canvas at a craft store. I'm talking about canvas from the pickup belts on this.

I guess you need to be in an area where agriculture is common in order to have something like that laying around...
Ag is big here, but swathers are not. I think round balers use something similar, shouldn't be too hard to find a hulk of one to get a belt off of at a salvage yard.

My dad has one of these and I bet a belt (the grey things towards the rear under the roof) off of one would make a great gap guard, there are a ton of them laying around waiting to be scrapped too:

dangeranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FF
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting...yeah agriculture is actually big around here too. I'll see what I can find. First I need to somehow loosen my damn rear bumper bolts for my body lift brackets...he he. thanks again guys

GreenRanger9096

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I used garden pond liner. It's pretty durable (it holds water after all) and is lightweight and easy to work with.

It wasn't too expensive at Lowes when I bought it either.

I was actually going to use that for mine, But never got around to it...

gap doesn't really bother me, But I think JohnnyU's got a great idea there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals