• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Home Brew Whinch bumper questions

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey boys, its been a while since i posted, been REALY busy with work, and well, graduating college and everything. anyways. Im revamping the bumper i made two years ago to acomodate a whinch. my question is this, do you guys use the factory front bumper mounts on the frame, of do you cut them off and make somthing else? Also, if you you do re use them, did you add any extra mounts for the bumper to help support the weight during a hard pull? Im getting a 8500lb pull super whinch and even tho i dont plan to be useing it much, I want to be able to depend on mounting to put up with some abuse.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Well I started fabbing mine up today for my XD9000i.

In order for the winch to fit between the mounting brackets which I wanted on the inside for the frame rails, I needed to "remodel" the front of the frame. Basically I just cut the brackets off and am going to plate it up and bolt the bumper on. The bolts will go through the entirety of the frame rail.

Can I see some pics of your bumper as it is now?

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, I can get some, but none of how its bolted to the frame. the orriginal mounts that i made were drilled to match up to the factory bumper mounting holes.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey boys, its been a while since i posted, been REALY busy with work, and well, graduating college and everything. anyways. Im revamping the bumper i made two years ago to acomodate a whinch. my question is this, do you guys use the factory front bumper mounts on the frame, of do you cut them off and make somthing else? Also, if you you do re use them, did you add any extra mounts for the bumper to help support the weight during a hard pull? Im getting a 8500lb pull super whinch and even tho i dont plan to be useing it much, I want to be able to depend on mounting to put up with some abuse.
You should really cut the bumper mounts flush with the frame, then bolt your bumper directly to the frame. If you try to use the factory bumper mounts, you will tear them off.

Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of me pealing back the factory brackets (I had d-rings welded on the front of my stock bumper).

hick

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
pardon lol....you asking me?

Thumper113

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For now, I'm using the factory mounts without any other supports. I plan to add some supports from the bumper to the frame when I actually feel like getting off my lazy ass to do it. Several months ago, I winched 5 vehicles in a row up a rocky, snowy, hill & I was kinda worried about the factory welds (on the brackets to the frame) coming apart. It's still holding fine but I'll add some brackets eventually.

The heaviest vehicle was an '87 GMC Suburban. The rest were.........full size Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Tacoma. So I'd have to say, based on my own experience so far, it should hold up decent for your own truck but adding brackets would be a good idea.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
my bumper moved around with only two bolts per side. i welded ears to my bumper and used 4 bolts per side including the original holes with reinforcment plates on the inside of the frame since i don't have the newer crumple zone frame that go back a foot or so

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For now, I'm using the factory mounts without any other supports. I plan to add some supports from the bumper to the frame when I actually feel like getting off my lazy ass to do it. Several months ago, I winched 5 vehicles in a row up a rocky, snowy, hill & I was kinda worried about the factory welds (on the brackets to the frame) coming apart. It's still holding fine but I'll add some brackets eventually.

The heaviest vehicle was an '87 GMC Suburban. The rest were.........full size Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Tacoma. So I'd have to say, based on my own experience so far, it should hold up decent for your own truck but adding brackets would be a good idea.
The problem with my brackets wasn't from winching, it was from being recovered using my d-rings, more specifically being jerked out by a Commando with a running start. As proven by you, it is possible to get by with them, I'm not sure that I would trust them though.

hick

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals